Hello Guest May 04, 2024, 23:43:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Blue Riband???  (Read 4595 times)

wayban

• Forum member
The Blue Riband???
« on: July 12, 2010, 15:22:26 »

It was the greatest prize in the oceanliners golden age, so i was wondering if vstep is going to introduce it in extremes. The natural competitor would obvious be RMS Titanic, racing the atlantic high speed, through the ice fields to the win the prestigious title. I only ask this because i would like to see more vintage oceanliners in action, like Lusitania, Imperator(Berengaria) or Vaterland(Leviathan), Bremen, Rex and Normandie. These would be fine aditions to the shipyard, and i wouldn't even mind paying for them... And if it's not going to be in extremes, please hold it in consideration for a future expansion

dodweb

• Forum member
Re: The Blue Riband???
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 16:02:41 »

I like the idea, but I doubt it will be realised anytime soon. I do not know how well documented said ships are, or who owns the rights for them, and as you might know both exact specifications and performance data - in addition to the rights to use the ships - would have to be in place first.

More important though, I think at least, is that there is not a lot of difference between the various old oceanliners. Vstep has made it clear that they primarily want to add vessels that add something new to the current fleet, like a new way of handling or a new role. It is AFAIK not finitely yet confirmed if the Titanic will be in the game or not, but if it is, it will cover the (old) ocean cruise liner role. It would be hard to justify the use of time and resources to create even one of the mentioned ships for the game as it would no add significantly to the game as far as a simulator. If anything, a NEW ocean liner would be more likely, and then I guess the QM2 is the only option. That would also add something new, the highe speeds achieved by its CODAG and its seaworthyness that surpasses the cruiseship/ferry in the game.

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 16:07:48 »

i know that its hard work for VSTEP...
but now i want VSTEP too start filling out our request and wishes...

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

Denis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 16:24:08 »

[...]
but now i want VSTEP too start filling out our request and wishes...

Hi,

Every member of the forum has its own wishes about new ships, environments, features and so on. How can you imagine all those requests can be filled out ?! Why don't you simply enjoy what you have - and what you would never have had without Vstep ?

It's not as if VSTEP was totally asleep ! A new version of the game every 2 years, with many improvements, new ships, new features, and in beetween new vessels from the shipyard, doesn't make you already feel happy with what is available ?

I totally share Dodweb advice : I rather prefer new ships with new abilities, instead of two, three or more similar ships, with approx. the same (boring - but that's my advice) behaviour at sea  !

oceandream

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 16:30:03 »

About the sea and behaviour  :thumbs:

Join Greenpeace virtual today
We need more members too keep out forum active

Firestar

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 23:27:30 »

It was the greatest prize in the oceanliners golden age, so i was wondering if vstep is going to introduce it in extremes. The natural competitor would obvious be RMS Titanic, racing the atlantic high speed, through the ice fields to the win the prestigious title. I only ask this because i would like to see more vintage oceanliners in action, like Lusitania, Imperator(Berengaria) or Vaterland(Leviathan), Bremen, Rex and Normandie. These would be fine aditions to the shipyard, and i wouldn't even mind paying for them... And if it's not going to be in extremes, please hold it in consideration for a future expansion
You do realize that the Blue Riband is STILL a record that ships compete for, right?

Second, Titanic never won the Blue Riband, and liner or not, the fastest ship to cross the Atlantic ocean is the holder.

(There's loads of topics like these on this subject, please use the search function)

mvsmith

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 23:52:34 »

Shane is correct, in that the Blue Riband is still up for grabs.
Unlike the Hales Trophy, with which it is often confused, the Blue Riband is only for a westbound transit by a vessel in regular transatlantic passenger service. It is possible that it will remain with S.S United States.
Hoverspeed Great Britain won the Hales Trophy in 1990 for an eastbound time of 79 hours 54 minutes, but was not eligible for the Blue Riband.

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 16:07:50 »

For more info about the Blue Riband look here:

http://www.theblueriband.com/

Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 16:18:40 »

Who gives out the Blue Riband?

dodweb

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 19:34:43 »

Unlike the Hales Trophy, with which it is often confused

I'm confused, from what I read I can only come to the conclusion that the Hales trophy is the physical trophy awarded to the current holder of the Blue Riband?

the Blue Riband is only for a westbound transit

According to the apparently inofficial-ish looking site, one must have the highest average speed on both westbound and eastbound transit - during the same voyage - to get the blue riband?

Hoverspeed Great Britain won the Hales Trophy in 1990 for an eastbound time of 79 hours 54 minutes, but was not eligible for the Blue Riband.

Also according to the link, as well as wikipedia, the riband is awarded based on average speed, not time (as ships took different routes thereby varying the distance traveled, making time taken less interesting)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 19:53:26 »

I'm confused, from what I read I can only come to the conclusion that the Hales trophy is the physical trophy awarded to the current holder of the Blue Riband?

According to the apparently inofficial-ish looking site, one must have the highest average speed on both westbound and eastbound transit - during the same voyage - to get the blue riband?

Also according to the link, as well as wikipedia, the riband is awarded based on average speed, not time (as ships took different routes thereby varying the distance traveled, making time taken less interesting)

The Hales Trophy is a physical trophy but not to the Blue Riband holder - The Hoverspeed GB won the Hales, thus the trophy, but not the Blue Riband

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 21:16:54 »

Here's what Wikipedia says.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Riband
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines