Hello Guest May 06, 2024, 14:05:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Titanic II  (Read 54842 times)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
Re: Titanic II
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2013, 21:32:03 »

All of P&O's fleet have propelers and stern thrusters but some require tugs for saftey reasons. :doh:

When you say P&O fleet do you mean cruise ships or ferries?

If its cruise ships, Arcadia has Azipods.  :)

I don't know about the ferries.

Jake_Savage

• Forum member
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2013, 13:03:56 »

For all i said i disagree with the ship. Ive been thinking about it. Sure make it. But like someone said earlier you need to be really careful about the media if one little thing goes wrong then they will be all over it.

Sith Lord

• Forum member
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2013, 16:39:20 »

When you say P&O fleet do you mean cruise ships or ferries?

If its cruise ships, Arcadia has Azipods.  :)

I don't know about the ferries.
The two I have been on (Azura&Aroura) have stern thrusters but Aroura requires tug at southhampton for saftey reasons
Move I am in my 150 meter Incat and you go at half the speed of me.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2013, 00:21:43 »

And about your point of WW2 no one would recreate that or the Concordia so why this?

Well, you don't have to recreate a whole war to make money out of it though.

There are warmovies, TV series, documentaries, museums, museum parks at actual battles sites, hundreds of thousands of books, websites, even more movies, replica's of all types of weapons and/or vehicles, people collect and trade real and replica equipment and such, did I mention they made lots of movies? ...they have parades, re-enactments, you can book whole trips to travel past some of the important battlefields with guides and plenty of opportunity to bring back souvenirs... etc etc etc etc.. you name it.. and every single one of those things makes someone (sometimes a lot of) money somewhere, the same way a replica of an old ship and replicating some old voyage might.

No difference there apart from that one thing is just one boring old ship and the other thing has many many more aspects to it even. But in both cases lots (and in the case of WWII enormous ammounts) of people died, and now we 'experience the past' in some fashion and pay for it in some way or another.

So much money is being made with things related to WWII, that you simply can't disregards that point. And Costa Concordia might well be treated the same way as Titanic is now, had she sunk 100 years ago as a first big tragedy in a long time and/or had a lot more people died on her, but it's too 'new' and not 'important' enough in this day and age, to leave a similar impact. As tragic as it was, there are other tragic things going on every day.

Fred.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2013, 18:02:27 »

With the moral arguments settled, there is something I have been thinking about, which a sales director (or someone of similar position; I cannot precisely remember which) from Deltamarin replied to by saying it "would be cool," but that it is too early to determine.

I think that it would be quite novel if, despite Titanic II not running on Steam, the ship used a replicated set of steam whistles in lieu of a horn! I wouldn't be heartbroken if they didn't, but the idea definitely has some novelty to it, and with Disney's cruise ships, also designed by Deltamarin, having interesting horns of their own, there's at least a marginal chance of possibility :doh:

Additionally, based on a TRMA discussion I started some years back, apparently the three tones of the two whistles on the original ship would fall into what appears to be the permissible frequencies for a ship's horn if they were replicated and blown at the original steam pressure, and they are placed close enough together to be permitted to sound simultaneously. But then again, you guys here know much more about the subject than I do, which is why I bring it up. :P
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 18:04:03 by RMS Gigantic »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2013, 10:04:24 »

Although her main engines don't run on steam, she will almost certainly have steam for fuel heating etc. so steam whistles are probably not impossible.

The problem with steam whistles is that they are notoriously unreliable unless they have lots of maintenance, where an air or electric whistle is pretty much maintenance free.

GeoP17

• Forum member
« Reply #156 on: July 26, 2013, 11:31:43 »

i have found this picture...the new Titanic will sail in 2016

Thanks a lot stormforce!

ship1999$

• Forum member
« Reply #157 on: July 26, 2013, 13:31:50 »

nice photo....Titanic is very pretty ship and too  long for his century

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2013, 06:02:31 »

As a note, the render you have there is from http://www.titanic-ii.com

The design is out of date now, but the most recent design has yet to be displayed to the public. Who knows, maybe they will unveil the new design at the culinary event in Brisbane in the middle of August? Although Deltamarin HAS disclosed some details of the new design in text. Namely:

• The stern shape has been redesigned to more closely conform with the original, while still keeping the three azimuth thrusters. How much of the shape is above-the-waterline-only hasn't been said.
  • The docking bridge has been added to the stern, but is pushed farther forward than it was on Titanic, to avoid obfuscating the helicopter pad.
  • The observation deck windows on the front two funnels will use a material which is transparent from the inside but opaque from the outside, to make them not take away from the exterior aesthetics.

Some possible addition features were under consideration as of the last time they were asked on the company's blog on the topic. These include garage spaces below decks for automobiles and SOLAS-approved coverings for the modern lifeboats (the latter is under quite a bit of debate, because they also want people to feel safe when seeing the ship).

I still stand by my view that she would make for an excellent Ship Simulator vessel! Not only is the odd-numbered bow thruster arrangement unusual (along with, potentially their arrangement), as well as her aesthetics, but she is a ship that her owners plan on bringing all around the world, would add a new helicopter pad passenger ship to the game, and maybe even, if the ship's design and operation permit it and VSTEP were willing/able, add a new set of crane mechanics in terms of the ship-borne cranes loading up food, cargo, and potentially even motor cars for the below-deck garages (as a sort of highly unusual, long-distance car ferry, essentially)!

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #159 on: July 31, 2013, 08:21:11 »

Apparently she will also be 4 metres wider, due to stability, and the hull will be welded, not riveted..

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:39 »

By what I have read, its not really the Titanic then. Its just a ship that looks like it...  :-\

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2013, 09:46:11 »

When was that ever in doubt..   you do know the REAL one sunk, right?  :doh:

;)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2013, 13:41:29 »

Yes...  ;)

I thought he was going to make it pretty much exactly like the original, just with extra lifeboats, but its just (and yes I know this has been said many times before) for money.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2013, 15:46:50 »

Yes...  ;)

I thought he was going to make it pretty much exactly like the original, just with extra lifeboats, but its just (and yes I know this has been said many times before) for money.
The original Titanic violates the standards of SOLAS and the like. One of the project's historical consultants said on the TRMA forum that the only changes being made are to comply with modern ship design standards or to make the ship safer (or to take advantage of otherwise unused space opened up by the former two).

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2013, 21:18:47 »

The original Titanic violates the standards of SOLAS and the like. One of the project's historical consultants said on the TRMA forum that the only changes being made are to comply with modern ship design standards or to make the ship safer (or to take advantage of otherwise unused space opened up by the former two).

Ahh, I see. :doh:

Still, I like the idea but don't think it will work properly and is only for money.  :-\

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2013, 12:25:45 »

Ahh, I see. :doh:

Still, I like the idea but don't think it will work properly and is only for money.  :-\
They hired a LOT of highly competent people, firms, companies, and organizations for it to not work properly. Here's a list of the ones that have been named so far:

• Blue Star Line: An Australian company founded solely for the purpose of operating Titanic II as a flagship vessel
  • CSC Jinling: A shipyard willing to build Titanic II, with a motivation to prove to the world that China can build a passenger ship just as well as any other nation
  • Terry Ismay and Helen Benziger: Descendants of Titanic passengers (Bruce Ismay and Margaret Brown respectively), hired to ensure that the replica is tasteful to the memory of those who lived and died aboard Titanic
  • Bruce Beveridge and Daniel Klistoner: Top-of-the-line Titanic technical researchers, the former specializing in the ship's systems and the latter in interior fittings
  • Deltamarin: The same naval engineering firm that's designed a wide variety of oceangoing vessels and cruise ships, among other seagoing ships; has put forth designs for Titanic II which meet modern safety standards and would prove just as, if not more, stable, as well as safer, than the original ship. Titanic II was engineered in Finland, according to one of the preliminary sets of general arrangement plans.
  • V.Ships Leisure: Large company which will be Titanic II's ship management agency. It is said that on the first day of announcing this, they received eight applications for the position of captain alone, from folks ranging from cruise ship captains to supertanker captains!
  • Tillberg Design: Swedish naval architecture firm which will ensure that Titanic II's new areas (such as the S deck) will be designed and decorated as if the original Titanic had these extra spaces
  • Lloyd's Register: British group which will review Titanic II's plans, ensure that the ship complies with all of the modern laws she claims she does, and then register the ship to allow her to sail in international waters
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 12:27:31 by RMS Gigantic »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2013, 21:07:16 »

Well, we'll see what happens.  :)

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2013, 22:40:44 »

Well, we'll see what happens.  :)

exactly, we can't argue about whats good and bad now when there is still around 3 years left. We don't know for sure what exactly will happen.

The only opinion i would give is if your going to modify the ships visual appearance then don't build the ship at all. I would rather give it a different paint job and name, if the ships appearance is going to be changed. Oh well.

To those who think there aren't any pictures of the Titanic, there are. Even though there are only a few there are pictures of the ship.

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2013, 23:50:29 »

:sleepy:
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2013, 07:25:56 »

They hired a LOT of highly competent people, firms, companies, and organizations for it to not work properly.

Errr...  

So..  in order for it to NOT work properly, they hired all those highly competent people?

I agree with you completely this once. I am sure they will make a top notch fiasco out of it, given those World famous miracleworkers.  :evil:

Besides.. you sure made the list SOUND impressive, but is it really?  :P

• Blue Star Line: An Australian company founded solely for the purpose of operating Titanic II as a flagship vessel

So if they've been founded solely to operate the Titanic II, which isn't even ready yet, where is the proof of their competence?  ::)

• CSC Jinling: A shipyard willing to build Titanic II, with a motivation to prove to the world that China can build a passenger ship just as well as any other nation

So if they have to prove to the world that they can build a passengership, that means they haven't done it before, and thus, no competence proven yet.  ::)

• Terry Ismay and Helen Benziger: Descendants of Titanic passengers (Bruce Ismay and Margaret Brown respectively), hired to ensure that the replica is tasteful to the memory of those who lived and died aboard Titanic

Genetic Competence?  I guess...  ::)

• Bruce Beveridge and Daniel Klistoner: Top-of-the-line Titanic technical researchers, the former specializing in the ship's systems and the latter in interior fittings

Did they do many dives to the wreck to investigate all that, or did they just use google like the rest of the latter day experts?  ::)

• Deltamarin: The same naval engineering firm that's designed a wide variety of oceangoing vessels and cruise ships, among other seagoing ships; has put forth designs for Titanic II which meet modern safety standards and would prove just as, if not more, stable, as well as safer, than the original ship.

Well, okay they're good and competent alright. But putting forth designs to meet modern standards isn't an achievement as much as a requirement really, to which added stability is inevitably linked.   :)

• Titanic II was engineered in Finland, according to one of the preliminary sets of general arrangement plans.

Yay for Finland. And gee, they stuck to plans? How very rare in this industry...   ;D

• V.Ships Leisure: Large company which will be Titanic II's ship management agency. It is said that on the first day of announcing this, they received eight applications for the position of captain alone, from folks ranging from cruise ship captains to supertanker captains!

Only 8?  Meh, it's Titanic! Should have been 100. Rubbish.  :evil:

• Tillberg Design: Swedish naval architecture firm which will ensure that Titanic II's new areas (such as the S deck) will be designed and decorated as if the original Titanic had these extra spaces

I hope they can live with themselves over this blasphemy.   ;D

• Lloyd's Register: British group which will review Titanic II's plans, ensure that the ship complies with all of the modern laws she claims she does, and then register the ship to allow her to sail in international waters

Just another ship to them, they do it all the time, so that's not very impressive. Sure they are competent, but why is that even relevant?  :doh:

But I'm sure they'll do a fine job among them, nonetheless.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:30:47 by Mad_Fred »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #170 on: August 02, 2013, 07:51:23 »

In general, the more separate entities which are incvolved in building / operating ships the more likely it is to be a huge disaster.

laganviking

• Forum member
« Reply #171 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:08 »

:lol: :lol:

Fred, you have just made my morning now! Shall I fetch some water for that burn now, or later?  :doh:
LV SHIPYARDS - Whatever you want, whatever you like, whatever you say, you pay your money, you take your choice  :lol: :2thumbs: :captain: !:)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #172 on: August 02, 2013, 11:47:58 »

Fred, you deserve this.

;D

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #173 on: August 02, 2013, 11:53:39 »

Anyways,
I was reading while on Holliday that for the maden voyage tickets are £1MILLION EACH!
And worse of all that's the last voyage she is doing  :thumbdown:
To be honest I think it's going to be a floating theme park which will be sad for it. What next a submarine built to see under the "authentic" hull as they spent millions on something that the Chinese are only gonna see!
I don't know but it seems to be a rip off which I think is quite sad to be honest! Worse thing is its going to Dubai. Why not Southampton, her home town?
I starting to disagree with this ship!
It's a sad way to rip off a disaster  :thumbdown:
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #174 on: August 02, 2013, 11:59:36 »

And worse of all that's the last voyage she is doing  :thumbdown:

Hang on, is it ony doing one voyage!?!?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines