Hello Guest May 08, 2024, 01:54:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: SDK vessel editor?  (Read 4881 times)

Mr Robville

• Administrator
SDK vessel editor?
« on: November 18, 2007, 16:17:55 »

i read in the FAQ that there is something like an modelling program to make models for SS, but is this in development or something?  (a link to the FAQ topic: http://www.shipsim.com/ShipSimForum/index.php/topic,1071.0.html )

Lighthouse

• Forum member
Re: SDK vessel editor?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 00:38:45 »

Hiya,

I thought I read somewhere a sort time later after this FAQ was made that the idea was not going to go a head after all. Though one thing I'd like to know is about the Subscription service that was talked about on that topic.

I quote "As an alternative to the ship SDK, to satisfy the demand of new ships, we are preparing a subscription service. Subscribers would get a new player ship every month, with a set of missions. Talented 3D ship modelers can help us to create suitable models, and even get paid by us for their effort. Our target is to start the subscription service in October. More announcements on this will follow later."

Hmm the last time I checked it's November, and yet still no subscription service and what more announcement later, how much later?? I would and by the looks of it mr robville also would like the the current stats of this.

Thank you,

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 00:40:56 by Lighthouse »
The lighthouse, added in the 1820s to aid navigation for vessels using the deep water channels. It is still in use today and plays a central role in the navigational system for ships entering coastal Harbours.

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:42:50 »

Lighthouse,
I think VSTEP have their hands full right now with straightening out the problems with the SS06 ships add-on. Probably new ships are at the bottom of the queue.
If you follow the link in the top post and then download the PDF at the end of pjotr’s post, you can get an idea of what is involved in adding ships.
If you are curious about the development environment in which the developers must work, you can download the demonstration version of Quest3D along with the manual. You can then explain to VSTEP what a trivial matter it is to make a ship or an environment. :)
http://www.quest3d.com/download/Quest3D_3_6_3_demo.exe
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:45:02 by mvsmith »

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 03:22:59 »

Mvsmith,

I see what you mean but don't ya think one of the game developers should keep us up to date on this matter. There's been no update about it since the FAQ was posted. I just really would like to know how things are going.

BTW thanks for the link in the middle of downloading it.

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse
The lighthouse, added in the 1820s to aid navigation for vessels using the deep water channels. It is still in use today and plays a central role in the navigational system for ships entering coastal Harbours.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:00:03 »

Sorry, I thought it HAD been made clear that the SDK was not being released.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:19:50 »

Stu,

I thought I made it clear in my first post that I though the SDK wasn't going to be released, I'm no longer talking about that, I'm talking about the subscription service to download ships, how is this going?

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:23 »

Stu,

I thought I made it clear in my first post that I though the SDK wasn't going to be released, I'm no longer talking about that, I'm talking about the subscription service to download ships, how is this going?

Right. Sorry.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 02:03:04 »

Hi Stu,

No problem. Hey anyway do you happen to now anything about subscription service? Anything??

Thanks,

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:48 »

There's nothing been stated. And I can honestly say I know only as much as you know.

Stu

Lighthouse

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 22:55:10 »

Thanks Stu,

Bon Voyage,

Lighthouse

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 16:47:04 »

ah, that's a quite shame that there will be no SDK editor :'(

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 00:35:41 »

Yes it's a big bummer for this game if that is true.
Lack of interest and a game that I probably will drop into a box of paper someday and let i dust slowly into the history... ::)

Hard to implement a SDK editor for add-ons? That must be the "joke of the year" Come on VSTEP! Show a better side of you than the better-half! :P

I stick to the Virtual Sailor until the day I see a breaking news for Ship Simulator that makes me happy. :-X
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 00:37:18 by JHB »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 03:03:49 »

I stick to the Virtual Sailor until the day I see a breaking news for Ship Simulator that makes me happy. :-X

Bye then :o

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 14:04:18 »

it would make the game more attractive to people like me, since i am a good modeller myself (i made 3d models of: RMS Titanic, SS Carpathia & the SS Argonautica)

so it would be awsome to see my own creations in-game  ;D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 14:08:24 »

Mark/Pjotr have already told you how you can get your ships into the game. I know they are working on other projects right now, but eventually you will be able to submit your ship model.

stu

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 16:16:37 »

Hard to implement a SDK editor for add-ons? That must be the "joke of the year"

Thanks for your well fundamented opinion. Making an SDK for a ship simulator with the ships dynamics as complicated as shipsim 2008 costs a lot, and I mean a lot of time of our programmers. VStep has decided to invest its valuable time in other projects, so we can make this game even better and an even better new game.
Wout

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 19:16:48 »

Thanks for your well fundamented opinion. Making an SDK for a ship simulator with the ships dynamics as complicated as shipsim 2008 costs a lot, and I mean a lot of time of our programmers. VStep has decided to invest its valuable time in other projects, so we can make this game even better and an even better new game.
Fine by me :)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 04:35:59 »

What I don't understand is, why not have implemented a SDK into ShipSim from the start? VSTEP keep saying that it's going to be hard to code, but surely this could of been done from the beginning?? I realise that company issues get in the way of things like this but wouldn't it saved time and possibly money??

Please don't think I'm having a dig, I love the game just simply wanted to ask a question :)

Regards,
Adam
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

mvsmith

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 06:25:41 »

Please don't think I'm having a dig, I love the game just simply wanted to ask a question :)

Regards,
Adam
In that same spirit, I believe the reason there was no SDK from the start is the same as the reason there won’t be one now. The architecture of the simulator precludes it.
Marty

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 07:58:46 »

How much does it cost in US dollars?
How many developers do you need
How many hours does it takes to make it?
What sort programming code are we talking about... C++?

Or is the simple answer... "well, we are waiting for the Quest3D developers to add this into the game engine. Until then we just have to wait".

I'm not going to state anything here. I'm just asking critical questions just like anyone else. Sure it will be a long time until anyone see my ship models in this game because I personally like a SDK better than a "subscription service".

How many 3rd part add-on developers work for VSTEP at this moment? 1...2..5...10? Where are these commercial 3rd part developers?

I bet for myself that I got a huge problem with my patience. But I have a strange feeling that the SDK is just a big dream at the moment and nothing else. I'm totally aware that you cannot build a SDK over the night. But the way VSTEP have said it it sounds like it will take years.. That just explains how advanced the CGR file format is (used by Quest3D) when it's not a open file format but just a more closed file format.

You are using XML files to add the boat physics and behavior right? Such file that you can edit in NotePad?

At the last: Thanks for your well fundamented answer Wout. :P
Maybe a developer for VSTEP can answer my questions so I can understand better the fundamentals behind this game.

mvsmith

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 09:20:32 »

JHB,
Would you please tell us what the letters SDK stand for, and what you think they mean?
Marty

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 10:12:14 »

JHB,
Would you please tell us what the letters SDK stand for, and what you think they mean?
Marty

Are you running a quiz or something...? ;) :P

SDK = Simulator Development Kit..

Do we have a winner? ;D

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 13:24:11 »

Errr, wrong.
It stands for System Development Kit and misapplied to MSFS.
Can you tell us what is actually contained in the MSFS “SDK” and exactly what you would expect in an “SDK” from VSTEP?
Perhaps if you explained to the developers what the “SDK” should do, what it should consist of, and how it would work, they might understand how easy it would be.
Marty

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 13:37:53 »

Simple to use SDK where, for example, the user clicks on a point of the hull and then types in thrust levels and the SDK works out turning rates based on mass, etc, would no doubt be very complex to produce such an SDK and and would need a powerful computer.

Maybe an SDK that allows you to put a ship in the game based on generic data for its type- for example (to us NON MARINERS) all oil tankers of a certain size would handle the same. All ferries are designed in similar ways and would handle similarly.

I must stress before the sailors all condemn me for the above, that using generic 'approximations' would only work to a limited degree, but might prove a compromise. This is my own suggestion and not Vstep policy.

Stu

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 13:45:31 »

I don't mean to be the fussy one here, but SDK actually means Software Development Kit ;)
RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines