Hello Guest May 08, 2024, 00:01:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I am so in trouble HELP ASAP!!!  (Read 6311 times)

Hawk233

• Forum member
I am so in trouble HELP ASAP!!!
« on: September 07, 2007, 23:22:17 »

Guys I am annoyed. I installed ship sim 08 on my bros computer a while ago. Now he lost my activation code. I bought the game off ebay so i cant recover it from VSTEP. WHAT DO I DO. is there a way to find it on my computer. if so please help. this happend about 2 weeks ago, but i never looked that hard until today when the patch comes out. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Edited for language, DJM.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 23:23:33 by [RWP]DJM »

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
Re: I am so in trouble HELP ASAP!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 23:27:50 »

Firstly, you are supposed to use the game for yourself only, installing it on your Brother's PC is outside the terms of the EULA.

A licence key is for use by the person who purchased the licence only.  This issue will have to be addressed by an Administrator.

Regards.

DJM.

RNIB - Supporting Blind & Partially Sighted People.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 23:31:13 »

ok new question, is it possible to buy a new CD key off Vstep.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 23:32:07 »

of course it is! You can buy a new cd key... and it will even come with a shiny new cd and box... or a download of a new game.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 23:37:41 »

man, saving up for video cards is hard, ok more money to spend on the best game ever.  ;D :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 23:40:06 »

Im sorry to hear that. Maybe the cost of buying a second copy will heighten your awareness of the need to look after it and not loan it out to people?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 23:40:46 »

Yeah lol this one stays in my safe.

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 23:52:28 »

Ok. so here is the deal. Last time we bought off ebay with paypal. but my dad is taking me to go get a debit card. It will probably be visa.........Will the buying proccess accept visa?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 23:58:10 »

Which buying process?

I would wait to see what the Administrator says before purchasing another game :)

Regards.

DJM.

I am no longer a member of the Moderation team, so please send any messages about licence key issues to a currently active member of the team.  Thank you.

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 00:04:00 »

??? so i can't buy the game again...  ??? :'(... anyways the buying procces i meant was the online buy and download thing.
If i am terribly sorry for breaking the rules is it possible to regain trust by going and unistalling it off my brothers computer?

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 00:08:21 »

You can buy the game again.  Please bear in mind that I don't make the rules, that's why I suggested the Administrator would need to look at this.

As suggested, I would wait :)

Regards.

DJM.

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 00:11:43 »

Ok will wait. BTW im terribly sorry for breaking the rules  :'( :'( :'(

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 11:15:05 »

Dear Hawk,

If you bought the game off ebay you have received an order confirmation. This is a proof of purchase. Please email that or another proof of purchase to info@shipsim.com including your problem, they will probably be able to help you further.

Greetings, Wout
Wout

pigouinos

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 05:53:24 »

DJM,

I appreciate your words, but come on man, google for ship simulator, and the first 10 results are linking to torrent/rapidshare websites.

What a EULA :o :o ??? ??  Spread the game.!!!

Hundreds of modeled boats, as well as plenty enviroments covering most of earths water. All coming from the community. Just see what happened with bill gate's game. aka. flight simulator! What do you think? People wants to have a airplane simulator and watch the clouds , or helm a boat around coasts and islands exploring  places ?

Its not an offense man. I am not even a pirate, but spread the game.!

I am writing the whole thing not to be against the laws, but i think that your comment about EULA and restrictions shouldn't have been written here. He just installed the game on his bro computer (perhaps it's even a shared computer between him and his brother) .. OMG

mvsmith

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 07:00:03 »

Hundreds of modeled boats, as well as plenty enviroments covering most of earths water. All coming from the community. Just see what happened with bill gate's game. aka. flight simulator!

Perhaps a better example would be Trainz, with tens of thousands of free add-ins on their Download Station. That, however, was not the result of piracy—or sharing, to use a gentler term. It was the result of opening up modeling to everyone who had GMAX or other 3D software.
Perhaps VSTEP should re-think that part of their business model, but it’s their company.

Certainly rampant piracy will have a chilling effect on their desire to commit more resources to the sim.
Although the sharing that started this discussion was, itself, rather innocuous, it is symptomatic of a perception by some that it’s not wrong to make anyone’s intellectual property freely available to everyone—the old Napster mentality.

pigouinos

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 07:50:07 »

mvsmith, I partially agree with you.

Let me show you an example.

For instance, I buy an original Ship Simulato 2008 copy from V-step. After a couple hours of gaming I get bored and give the game to you as gift. (-ME: just take it pal, -YOU: Oh thanx it looks brand new. Haven't you used it? , -ME: No, the sealing just went off :P).
You took the game and you were looking forward to play it. So you ran back home, installed it, and played it. Unfortunatelly, you arent able to find Queen Mary 2 ship you would loved to helm. So you keep your game installed and give it to another friend of yours as a "GIFT" once again.

Whats the lawbraker here man? To conclude, the game was shared 2 (at least times) in my example.

pigouinos

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 08:07:09 »

Anyway, I dont want to start a flame war or something. I am just not in the mood to defend (or attack maybe?) the piracy.

Piracy kills the stupidity. Iam not referring just to V-STEP now, but to every company who defends its rights. Does Nullsoft care if somebody "shares illegal" WinAMP? ??? Of course not, they haven't change the way you register its product for ages now. (btw, winamp has almost exactly the same end-user license as shipsim)

Work for the community, and community will work back for you.
Thats how things should work. bigger fame, bigger profit.

.- I am off, to get rest :)

Nice game by the way V-STEP.

[RWP]DJM

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 10:12:39 »

Hiya all :)

I can see this has raised some discontent for what I said and I apologise if anyone was offended by my words.  I can assure you all however, it wasn't personal and wasn't intended to offend :)

I did point out at the time that I don't make the rules, which is why it was referred to the Administrator ;)

With certain circumstances, we have to take a more objective look at things, it is perfectly possible that I was incorrect in this case.  I have no problems whatsoever issuing a public apology to Hawk233 if I offended him :)

"Hawk233, if I in any way offended you with my comments, I would like to ask you to please accept my sincerest apologies.  No offence was intended or should be implied as I was acting in the way I thought was appropriate at the time"

Kind regards.

DJM.

marcstrat

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:44 »

Greetings,
I've have the sollusion for this problem.
I gonna deinstalled the 2006 version,because i have this pro version to.
So i give it to a friend,no problem so far.However you have to remove your license-key,from your profile.
Send a PM, to Mark or Pjotr,and you are free to give it away.
Your friend can from then on use that license-key.
If you dont remove it from you profile,he is not able to installed it.
This is the proper way to handle these things.I dont know how you think about it,but this is also the way you should do it.
Kind regards
Marc
N

Subwolf

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 10:27:47 »

Pjotr in Vstep said a while ago that they will allow others to model ships for SS08, and send the model to them. They will even pay for it if the quality is good. So whats the problem?

I can understand why they want to protect the game, it looks like they got a lot of future plans with it. Opening it up to all could result in a financial loss for Vstep.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 13:37:35 »

For instance, I buy an original Ship Simulato 2008 copy from V-step. After a couple hours of gaming I get bored and give the game to you as gift. (-ME: just take it pal, -YOU: Oh thanx it looks brand new. Haven't you used it? , -ME: No, the sealing just went off :P).
You took the game and you were looking forward to play it. So you ran back home, installed it, and played it. Unfortunatelly, you arent able to find Queen Mary 2 ship you would loved to helm. So you keep your game installed and give it to another friend of yours as a "GIFT" once again.

Whats the lawbraker here man? To conclude, the game was shared 2 (at least times) in my example.

Sorry Marc/DJM. Had to add my tuppence worth here as well. To quote you Havent you used it...NO? Do you not realise that you have contradicted yourself in just one paragraph.

I have a theory that if we all follow your lead... I will buy one copy of shipsim 2009 (example) and make available a free download of it, together with the serial code for absolutely anyone to download as they see fit. My concern is that Vstep, making only one sale, may well think about not making any more. Ever again.

Sorry to put this in such patronising terms, but I feel justified based on your comments. I was on a bus the other day and someone was caught without a ticket- his response 'whats the problem, man? Bus is going there anyway, innit (sic)... So that's ok then... Just like your viewpoint this is theft. Pure and simple.

Stuart

EDIT: Just to clarify- this is not directed at Hawk for his original question.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 13:39:36 by Stuart2007 »

Hawk233

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 23:04:03 »

Sorry i have not had time to be on computer.
DJM, I take your appology and its ok.
I have just decided to rebuy ship sim 08 (better for vstep anyways) So its a win-win. And about the Privacy thing. I will not let anyone else install or use on thier computer. Thanks for the responses.

Hawk

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 23:10:26 »

I'm glad this situation was rectified, however, I just wanted to add my comments.

I feel that, once I have purchased a legal copy of ship simulator I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to install ship sim on two computers that I personally own, and no other person will use. I am not giving the serial key away and I am not allowing the game to be 'distributed' around. I want to be able to lay ShipSim 08 on my laptop and my pc.

Please note I have not installed ship sim on more than one computer and I simply wanted to post my comments on this subject.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

mvsmith

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 14:06:51 »

I feel that, once I have purchased a legal copy of ship simulator I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to install ship sim on two computers that I personally own, and no other person will use. I am not giving the serial key away and I am not allowing the game to be 'distributed' around. I want to be able to lay ShipSim 08 on my laptop and my pc.
Your point is a valid one, and I suspect only VSTEP’s lawyers would disagree. Their responsibility is to protect VSTEP’s interests while devising an E.U.L.A. that doesn’t add an extra 100MB to the download.
I’m tempted to say “Let your conscience be your guide” but, while you obviously have one, many others don’t.

Wout

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2007, 14:13:23 »

People who are honoust and buy the game have no problems with the EULA, even when they make a copy for their own use. But, multiple people trying to play the same cd will end up with problems when two of them want to register their license key. Red flagged license key will result to loss in functionality.
Wout
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines