Hello Guest May 13, 2024, 12:23:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Elbe is listing?  (Read 3305 times)

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
Elbe is listing?
« on: January 01, 2009, 19:47:48 »

Just downloaded the Elbe from the shipyard, fantastic ship, however! She keeps listing to one side, as i am steaming away? I wouldn,t mind if it was blowing a gale, but i had the wind conditions set to calm??? After saving the game, i cannot reload it either? Hope the downloaded ships work on 2010 version though.

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
Re: Elbe is listing?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 19:51:57 »

Might of been because you were turning too sharply. If you werent, then that sounds weird. Contacting an administrator might help, since they will help you. :)
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 20:30:44 »

I will do. They should upgrade it with bow thrusters anyway. Took me half an hour to come alongside a jetti. hehehehe ;)

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 20:38:56 »

Half an hour? he he. Im sure the admins will sort you out here. The staff here are the nicest people in the world, as are the members and moderators. :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 22:07:47 »

I will do. They should upgrade it with bow thrusters anyway. Took me half an hour to come alongside a jetti. hehehehe ;)

Huh? The Elbe doesn't have thrusters. So why would the model?

If it's listing, then you're either in waters that are too shallow or else turning to port or starboard. I don't think there's any need to wake up an Adminsitrator for that... Nor a Moderator.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 23:40:47 by TerryRussell »

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 22:17:09 »

Oh, sorry terry. Although I did tell him to check if he was turning too sharply, in my deffence :)

TerryRussell

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 23:40:30 »

Oh, sorry terry. Although I did tell him to check if he was turning too sharply, in my deffence :)

No problem. I said it with a big smile!

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:37:03 »

No problem. I said it with a big smile!

Thats luvly jubbly then! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:48:55 »

Hi guys,

I think I know exactly what he means. Sometimes, when I start in the Elbe, in the Solent, she dosen't list, but, she turns a few degree's herself, to the port side. It means you have to constantly keep your eyes on where you are going, but, its never bothered me, so I didn't make a topic about it :)

Weelcome to the forum greenbriggs9! :)

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 09:54:58 »

A few of the vessels have stern walk at low speed. That would produce yaw, not list.

Nathan|C

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 10:48:31 »

I think all of the vessels with one propellor turn slightly port when accelarating - it's perfectly normal as far as i'm aware, you just need to counter-steer  ;)

TerryRussell

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 12:30:07 »

I think all of the vessels with one propellor turn slightly port when accelarating - it's perfectly normal as far as i'm aware, you just need to counter-steer  ;)

In real life, it does vary. It depends on whether the vessel is fitted with a left-hand or right-hand propellor. Of course, vessels with duo-prop don't get that effect at all.

Carl ov plymouth

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 13:00:20 »

my dads boat has a right handed prop  ;D a bit off task

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 13:53:39 »

A few of the vessels have stern walk at low speed. That would produce yaw, not list.
[/quoteBelive me! It IS a list, its like playing on FSX , banking the ship at about 30 degree list. Even my cup of tea falls off the table  ;) I will look in to the shallow water bit though. Although! It has happened in San Fransisco Harbour! I would of thought that was deep enough].

Nathan|C

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 13:55:17 »

hmmm, odd, can you show us where you are starting with the Elbe, i'm going to try this out..

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 14:02:43 »

TerryRustle. I kind of gathered the real ship does not have bow thrusters. Is the ship still in service? Anybody have any photos of it? It must be a knightmare getting those old tugs alonside, when the wind is blowing off the key. You would need another tug to push the thing alongside.  ;D  8)

Nathan|C

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 14:08:13 »

Yes, i have photos of her, when i visited her in Maassluis back in September. She is currently undergoing restoration, In fact, 50% of the money made by Purchasing her in the shipyard, goes towards her restoration. Anyway, here are my pictures:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 14:11:08 by Nathan|C »

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 14:11:43 »

@Greenbriggs9

The Elbe isnt in service any more. She now belongs to a foundation with volunteers/tug enthusiasts.

Here is a page with picture's
http://www.tugspotters.com/tugs/elbe.htm
She also has a own website but unfortunately only in Dutch.

Im not so sure if docking her in real life is a nightmare. With the 'wheel effect' of the propellor, you can also make a benefit out of it, and ofcourse they also used springlines to dock her.

Oh darn, Nathan beat me again  :laugh:
It's the crew that makes the difference

Nathan|C

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 14:14:14 »

At the moment, she cannot move under her own power  ;)

That explains why the SS Furie had to travel down to the Elbe, for the cover picture of "Ship Simulator 2008: Elbe and Furie Edition"

It would be a bad idea trying to sail a ship under restoration anyway.. @ Greenbiggs, can you give me the location of the startpoint in San Francisco that you are using please?

sailaway

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 14:24:38 »

The Elbe lies in Maassluis for restauration. The plan is to install bow-thrusters for reasons mentioned. This year she turnes 50-years old. For pictures see the site;http://www.zeesleperelbe.nl/index.php?id=9
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 14:38:31 by sailaway »

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 15:00:51 »

Thanks for all the pictures and information boys. I will tell you the starting point, but it will have to be sunday, as i am in scarborough at the moment. Think i might take my camera too. Glad to hear that they are fitting her with bow thrusters though.  ;)

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 15:06:49 »

I know the starting point was near a series of cranes, then i steamed under a long iron bridge, then turned her to starboard, heading towards a mariner. There was a long jetti before the mariner, with about 6 mooring post. Enabling me to moor up there. That was when she was listing real bad. Even aongside, moored up. Try it out. I was in free sailing mode.

Nathan|C

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 15:09:39 »

I don't think it's a very good idea to fit bow thrusters to the Elbe, i thought the idea of a restoration was to restore to as orignal state as possible  :-\

greenbriggs9

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 23:18:26 »

Yes but Nathan! i assume you have worked at sea. I have, and i use to work on a tug called "The Wendy Anne", in The Isle Of Man. She is still in service now. She originally use to work in Poole, then our Captain steamed her from Poole to Douglas. I am guessing that she is a 1936ish. look her up in google. She does not have bow thruster either. Captain Carter had to rely on us crew to shin it up the ladder, as quickly as possble, then throw the monkeys fist, so one of the other crew members could heave it in, and tie her up ASAP. Depending on the wind direction, and tidal flow, it would be sharp end, or arse end. All this could of been avoided with a bow thruster. Get my drift lad?  ;)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 00:03:16 »

Why didnt you used a crabbing anchor during docking then? I worked as a 15 year old OS, green as grass and just finished high school, on a vessel that should have been gone to the scrapyard long before i sailed on her. Everytime i dropped the anchor, i was so scared that it would pull the winch off the deck. ;D We often used a crabbing anchor with 1/2 or 1 shackle in the water during docking.
It's the crew that makes the difference
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines