Hello Guest May 16, 2024, 01:56:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Add-On 2008 - Agile Solution  (Read 2404 times)

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
Add-On 2008 - Agile Solution
« on: October 19, 2007, 17:55:58 »

Hello,
In the former Add-On, Agile Solution (multipurpose vessel, design based on Deo Volente) was quite interesting, with only some  8) small deficiencies, ie not enough rudder moment at low speeds (even none at all), and a bizarre  :D memory effect.
In the new Add-On, there is no longer  :( steering in reverse, no longer "kick effect", no longer transverse thrust effect of the screw (when revving astern), and a remarkably small rudder efficiency.
Also, the acceleration from stop to 12 kts has been reduced from 100 sec to 60.  ::)
Isnt there some room for improvement?  ???
Regards,
Luc
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 21:51:01 by LucAtC »

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
Re: Add-On 2008 - Agile Solution
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 20:20:29 »

Hi Luc :)

You are on to something there. VSTEP really need to improve the dynamics engine significantly. I think they have taken a huge step from 06 to 08, but there is still much to do.

One of the main reasons why the ships behave badly is that no dynamics data is provided. If anyone is in possession of test reports from any ship, I request them to mail a copy to VSTEP. This will definitely help VSTEP improving the game.

As I have said before, VSTEP is still working on the add-on. When the update arrives the figures for Agile will be
Crash stop test: 3 min
Coasting stop test: 20 min for 13,5 knots to 0,5 knots

I will check the other effects you mention and see if anything can be done to improve them.

Regards
groennegaard
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 21:55:44 by groennegaard »

Aidablu

• Forum member
Re: Add-On 2008 - Agile Solution and Ocean Star
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 21:32:39 »

Hey Groennegaard

I also have a little something to add, the Ocean Star i also way off in it's handeling when it comes to the propulsion system.

I have be trying the real effect on the azipod system onboard Celebrity's Constellation and i can tell you that Ocean Star is not as maneuverable as Constellation is with her azipod System, is this something Vstep is aware off.

Oops forgot something: Groennegaard I know a person from Rccl that maybe will be able to ask Royal Caribean Cruise Line in the US for some data for any test reports of the dynamics, for all there new ships with azipod system, if that could help Vstep????

regards

Nicolai
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 21:46:54 by Aidablu »
HAHA LOOKING FOR MY USERNAME LOOK BELOW

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 22:21:32 »

Hi Nicolai :)

A test report from a RCCL ship would definitely help them understand precisely how these ships react. The Ocean Star is the first ship that VSTEP puts the azipod system on board. They don't have that much expirience with that kind of system. Some raw data will absolutely be much appreciated.

If you manage to get the report, you can mail it to me and I'll make sure that it ends at the right people at VSTEP. Thanks. :)

Regards
groennegaard

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 23:15:00 »

In the new Add-On, there is no longer  :( steering in reverse, no longer "kick effect", no longer transverse thrust effect of the screw (when revving astern), and a remarkably small rudder efficiency.
Also, the acceleration from stop to 12 kts has been reduced from 100 sec to 60.  ::)

Hi Luc :)

I have just made a short test.
-Acceleration 0 -> 13 kts took 1½ min. I think that is fair.
-No transverse thrust when going astern.
-4-5 degr/min ROT when going astern with rudder hard over.
I will try to get the last two items fixed.

I have also found a site with the particulars of that ship:
http://conoship.com/uk/nl/nl07_01/page4.htm

They don't really correspond to those in SS.  :-\

Regards
groennegaard

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 01:56:58 »

Hello groennegaard,
The characteristics of Agile Solution acceleration like it was in SS06 were quite consistent with the power and mass, if the 5000 hp were the ehp of the Wärtsila 8L32 (I think it is indicated hp, but things would worsen in this case). Well, if the power was different, then it could of course be possible to accelerate at a better rate.
The most disturbing is that one cannot, being stopped, put the rudder hardover, increasing rpm (or pitch) and rotating the ship before it takes way forward. This effect is called "coup de fouet" in French, and I was told it is called in English "kick effect". It is the limit of my English... sorry. But it works well in SS06, although transition is not enough smooth.
It also looks like the ship reacts differently, depending on the pc. RoT was 0 on my pc, hard over and astern to 4.2 kts (I couldnt get faster). I wonder if the memory effect still exists?
Also http://www.hartmanseatrade.nl/ for the ship particulars.
Regards,
Luc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines