Hello Guest May 08, 2024, 22:48:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What Station Should I Go Next Time Im In Scarborough?

Northallerton
Doncaster

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Down

Author Topic: Railworks 4  (Read 361115 times)

Stuart2007

• Forum member

How the mighty have fallen. The Country that invented trains- reduced to importing ugly diesels.

Cup holders have been fitted to many classes over the years- they are called driving desks. Hot water boilers for tea/coffee have been fitted since the first generation of production diesels- (Sulzer 2 for example or Brush 2)... a feature missing on most of these modern imported meccano sets.

Not sure that in 2062 that you will see as many of these ugly boxes as you have seen Brush 4s somehow...

Incidentally, these moden stress bodied coffins on wheels are designed to receive impact in a certain way to minimise damage to some sections by allowing damage elsewhere. Personally if I had to be in a rail accident, a heavyweight Brush chassis sitting atop of a pair of 12 tonne Commonwealth bogies.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Rbsanford

• Forum member

not to brag but...

U.S. locomotives look a whole lot better. ;D
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

Stuart2007

• Forum member

not to brag but...

U.S. locomotives look a whole lot better. ;D

No, that isn't bragging at all. It's an opinion- nothing more.

I could equally counter that (until our useless gov allowed us to fall behind) our technology was a good 10-15 years ahead of your own. There again, it isn't just trains that we've beaten you on.

Americas big advantage is money- lots of it. You don't really invent things- you just buy the companies elsewhere that DO. Fair play to you. Shame now that you're trillions of dollars in debt you can't any more.

Ah well. As we're friends now (despite your still patantly illegal declaration of independence) who care?
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

saltydog

• Forum member

The Americans would not have gone supersonic first, if they hadn't seen the British Miles M.52.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

Stuart2007

• Forum member

The Americans would not have gone supersonic first, if they hadn't seen the British Miles M.52.. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_M.52

Is now a good time to point out that the U2 spyplane- that pinnacle of 1960 American invention was actually a substantial copy of an earlier British design? Of course the fact that it was only 50% of a copy is nothing to do with the fact that Britain (BAC) only gave 50% of the data to America...

There again, considering who designed the jet turbines used to power the flaming thing, I think it's a foregone conculsion.

Rbsanford

• Forum member

does anyone know what kind of car this is?

because it looked like a locomotive even though it was in the rolling stock section. was it supposed to be a loco?
Today's weather:

Stuart2007

• Forum member

It is, in basic terms, a carriage/ guards van (a caboose I believe you call it there) where the driver has a seat and a couple of controls and little leprachauns take his instructions and run to the other end of the train where the locomotive is coupled and then press the buttons and controls.

In some countries this job of the leprachaun is taken by multi-way cables (38 way+) or by multiplexers (either FDM or TMD)- in essence, the locomotive is remotely controlled from the other end using controls in this carriage.

Don't you employ similar systems on some of your Amtrak stuff?

Rbsanford

• Forum member

uh, no i've never heard of it on amtrak.

but too bad its not a playable unit, it looks like it would be a great locomotive! :2thumbs:
Today's weather:

Ralphy

• Forum member

Are you sure it's not playable? Stick a loco on the back and then try and switch cabs  :thumbs:

RYAN123

• Forum member

does anyone know what kind of car this is?

because it looked like a locomotive even though it was in the rolling stock section. was it supposed to be a loco?

A English Class 82

IS Pictured here at Ipswich, Also known as a DVT (Driving Van Trailer) the drivers Can drive through it Aslong as theres a Class 90 On the rear; Its so the Class 90 or 91 Doesn't have to run around the train at Dead end Stations like London Liverpool Street , Kings X , Euston,

I went to Peterborough Yesterday, I saw Some brill DVT's There in the fast line :) went Via Norwich so it was a bit of a drag getting there  :sleepy:

I shall return :evil:

I like Trains :)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Nice pic, never seen a DVT myself...

Found a link to a webcam of the WCML :o

http://cdn.livestream.com/embed/wcml_cam?autoPlay=true&mute=false

Stuart2007

• Forum member

Ryan,

The UIC coupler on the Mk3 DVT ("82") allows it to be coupled not just to the 90 & 91 but also to any TDM equipped loco (Time Division Multiplex), which includes 86/2, 87, 89 and it has also been used on occasions with 47/7 for Holyhead.

Don't forget also that a TDM equipped HST (the ugly ones with buffers and the big power rack in the old guards compartment) could run with the Mk3 as much as the Mk4.

I must admit that I never saw a 91 with one, but that's not to say it never happened- the Mk4 DVT for the 91 was fundamentally different, albeit similar looking.

One small thing, don't confuse them with the original class 82, (or AL2 (AC Loco 2) as we used to call them)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Class_82

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_Van_Trailer

RYAN123

• Forum member

The UIC coupler on the Mk3 DVT ("82") allows it to be coupled not just to the 90 & 91 but also to any TDM equipped loco (Time Division Multiplex), which includes 86/2, 87, 89 and it has also been used on occasions with 47/7 for Holyhead.

Don't forget also that a TDM equipped HST (the ugly ones with buffers and the big power rack in the old guards compartment)

What i ment was it Cant run on its own without somthing propelling it :)

Are you Calling HST's With buffers Ugly  :o

How could anyone call that ugly!

Stuart2007

• Forum member

When comparing that to an "as built" HST with a nice Valenta and twin Napier turbos (or even a Mirlees MB190), it is very easy to call thes rebuilds ugly.

It is an interesting point that they only had to suffer the drawgear extensions due to the likelihood of train failures due to the incredibly poor desgin of the gec91.

Incidentally, it wasn't unknown for the 91 to fail and the train being driven solely on its diesel.

BTW did you know why they used the HST as a makeshift DVT? They had problems getting the Mk4 ready (NOT the dvt!) and they needed to use the Mk3/HST set... but the 91 was incapable of powering the ETH- thus they set the HST onto (if I remember correctly) 60% throttle to keep the generators running for the ETH.

Only problem is that the Valenta was never designed to run on low load at 60% RPM and the exhausts filled with carbon- and they caught fire.

The only way around it was to set the diesel to respond to throttle controls on the 91- as a result we were getting nearly 9,000 HP out of the set... On training trips down from Donny we could get up line speed in less half the normal time.

RYAN123

• Forum member

I have just finished my hardest ever repaint 67026

I wil post pictures in a bit ... and will put it file and upload to UKTS or RW Trainsim soon :)

Its wasn't exacly hard Just i had to draw the Union jack my self and that logo thing i made black and white myself :)

Just incase you havent seen 67026

Stuart2007

• Forum member

Well done... That looks like a real photo! ;)

Looks like an up service on the S'bound from the Northampton loop at Northampton (Castle) station???

RYAN123

• Forum member

Well done... That looks like a real photo! ;)

Looks like an up service on the S'bound from the Northampton loop at Northampton (Castle) station???

I wish Railworks did look that real... well its not far off :)

and i dunno the only 67's ive ever seen were all at peterborough

ive seen

67020 16th April 2012
 67027 14th January 2012
 67030(pulling a broken-down Class 91) 16th April 2012

Stuart2007

• Forum member

A broken down class 91? Surely not! (sarcasm).

I believe they're actually quite reliable now, but in the early days it was a wonder if one would make it from Kings Cross to Alexandra Palace (Bounds Green) without breakding down...

Ahh, how much more reliable the old 89 was. AND would pull a 15 coach rake on a wet, windy, cold day from standing start on an up incline... whereas the 91 needed to slipstream HSTs to get going...

The 89, incidentally, was one of the few locos that when light engine could race a 317 up the lower ECML from a standing start. Only an HST light would match it- and even then only just.

RYAN123

• Forum member

WOW!

@The Ferry Man

Your Class 73 is Brilliant!

Ive just seen the Photo on UKTS Fourms of it In Railworks... so What Do you have to do to it to complete it now?

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Still quite a bit, got the texturing to do, sort out the physics, sort the cab out...  :doh:

RYAN123

• Forum member

Wow Well done,

Best of luck with the rest :)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Thanks  :)

danny

• Forum member

I say Mr TFM, that is one amazing model you have there! Am I going to need to use my debt card to aquire it if its released?
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Nope all free ;)

RYAN123

• Forum member

I cant wait to have a Brilliat Class 73 I had the IHH Class 33 pack what included a Class 73 But since i got my new computer i had to reinstall all my addons and i couldnt find a redownload button on IHH.com ... Since then, ive contacted IHH support But no Reply :(

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines