Hello Guest May 22, 2024, 09:01:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

should Olympic have been scrapped?

yes
- 8 (42.1%)
no
- 11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympic  (Read 1961 times)

trains

• Forum member
Olympic
« on: June 01, 2008, 16:11:49 »

i say no.

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

mvsmith

Re: Olympic
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 16:33:31 »

Only when she accumulated enough barnacles to reduce her maximum speed.

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 16:48:10 »

she should have been turned into a hotel for cunard white star

Paddy134

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 16:54:46 »

They never would have done that back then. The olympic was just another ship back when she was scrapped, and the Titanic was just another sea disaster back then aswell. Its only recently they have become "special".

NathanC

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 17:14:03 »

If they would of known how much she would be worth today (Being the sistership to two very famous although very disasterous liners) she wouldn't of been scrapped, she'd be a museum or hotel like the Queen Mary. I think it was a poor decision to make, they knew how famous the 3 ships were and still they destroyed the last one  :(

Paddy134

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 17:20:18 »

If they would of known how much she would be worth today (Being the sistership to two very famous although very disasterous liners) she wouldn't of been scrapped, she'd be a museum or hotel like the Queen Mary. I think it was a poor decision to make, they knew how famous the 3 ships were and still they destroyed the last one  :(

But they wern't back then, as i said they were just another trio of ships, And by the end the Olympic was in a right state, there was severe cracking along the expantion joints.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 18:45:16 »

Also, I know it is very sad and all that, but not every cruise ship / liner can become a hotel!

Something has to happen :(

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 18:50:37 »

Cunard/White Star decided she wasn't profitable anymore, so they scrapped her....

It would still be nice if they didn't....

trains

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 02:30:56 »

Smith, when repairs are being made, barnacles can be taken off. and Olympics' parts should be in a muesum.

thanks to TJK for this awsome sig :D

Radeon HD 6850; AMD FX 4100 3.62 Ghz; 4 GB Ram

mvsmith

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 07:18:24 »

Trains,
At the top of this topic, you said scraped, not scrapped. I responded to the question you asked; no one else has.

Titanic ship of dreams

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 10:04:56 »

Trains,
At the top of this topic, you said scraped, not scrapped. I responded to the question you asked; no one else has.

That's true ;D

Titanicboss

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:30:27 »

One of the main reasons in which Cunard White Star Line got rid of the Olympic was because she was needing more repairs which would of cost more then she was actualy worth and aswell with ships that could do 30.5 knots the RMS Olympic would of not been able to keep up unlike when she wa sin her prime when the maratania and lusitan ia were the fastest at 26.7 knot's.

The olympic almost became a floating hotel but the deal fell throught and the highest bider won and aswell there is still part's of the Olympic around today. Which the biggest collection would be White Star Memories who own europes biggest collection of white star line artier fact's.

Aswell it wasemt until 1980s when intrest in the titanic started to pick up and the wreak was discoverd. Aswell the olympic seemed an eye sour because of her sister ships incability to not sink. Althought it said that the scrappers didnt like scrapping the ship because she had many more years left in her steel for brillent service all she needed was a few repair's but after the incident with the Nantucket light ship which cost the white star line 500,000 in fines they had to find the money some were. Its the same with the mejestic/ ex biosmark for the loyds line. As she was only young and she was sold for scrap but then sold again to the admiralty. The only reason why the aquatania lasted aslong as she did was because of World War Two if war didnt happan she would of been scrapped in the late 1939s once the queen elizebeth was on the scene
The Owner of Famous Liners Online
www.famouslinersonline.com

Mauiman

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 06:01:57 »

For all timers sake. I have to say Bloody NO!!!
Ice is great for drinks but not for ships to run over or for us to step on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines