Hello Guest May 10, 2024, 05:35:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today's Newsletter  (Read 2175 times)

Firestar

• Forum member
Today's Newsletter
« on: April 06, 2012, 18:18:23 »

I got the newsletter this morning, I'm incredibly disappointed at how poorly it hides the "buy our legacy collection" attitude.

HMS Titanic? Is that a joke? I would dismiss it as a typo except for the fact that it appears twice. The whole newsletter reflects an extremely mercenary attitude and I'm just a little disappointed that it doesn't speak about the actual tragedy other than calling it a "milestone in maritime history" (reciting from memory, I may be a bit off).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking VSTEP at all and I think it's a matter of miscommunication but I think the newsletter is more "buy our legacy collection because it includes Titanic" rather than "To celebrate and honor the centennial of the Titanic tragedy." Of course business is business, and money is their objective regardless, they still could have done a better job at respecting the tragedy. Whether you are a fan of Titanic or not, it just seems a bit in bad taste to disregard the lives of 1500 people like that. People aren't grieving over the disaster any more by any means obviously, but the direct results of the disaster are still with us. VSTEP should know this best, they work in the maritime industry.

Just thought it was something worth debating. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other people on it. Let it be clear I'm not attacking VSTEP, but I honestly think something went wrong with this newsletter. The previous ones were really good but this one seems cobbled together at the last minute with very little regard to what I think it was originally intended to say. :)

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
Re: Today's Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 18:41:17 »

I'm just a little disappointed that it doesn't speak about the actual tragedy other than calling it a "milestone in maritime history" (reciting from memory, I may be a bit off).

What don't you already know about it that EVERYONE in the world pretty much already knows aswell?   ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking VSTEP at all and I think it's a matter of miscommunication but I think the newsletter is more "buy our legacy collection because it includes Titanic" rather than "To celebrate and honor the centennial of the Titanic tragedy."

Celebrate? sorry but you're doing it yourself too..   celebrate the fact that a ship with design flaws and poorly run by her crew killed so many people?  Where's the honor in that anyway? Bit disrespectful to celebrate something that should never have happened.  ::)  ;)

Of course business is business, and money is their objective regardless, they still could have done a better job at respecting the tragedy. Whether you are a fan of Titanic or not, it just seems a bit in bad taste to disregard the lives of 1500 people like that.

Vstep regrets the fact that Titanic hasn't made a re-appearance in the game. So for all the Titanic fans that do not have the older games, and had hoped she would be in SSE, this is THE chance to get to play with it, for free, pretty much.

It's not just about respecting the tragedy, it's about respecting their fans too. Everyone has respect for what happened, but they don't have to send out a eulogy of a newletter. What do you think all those developers must then do that make war games? WWII shooters? Do they have to send out a 'we're so sad about this!' type newsletter about the concentrationcamps each time there is a milestone of a liberation of one or some such?  It's a game, it's the entertainment industry..  Too much drama, mate.  ;)

People aren't grieving over the disaster any more by any means obviously, but the direct results of the disaster are still with us. VSTEP should know this best, they work in the maritime industry.

What direct results? Better rules and regulations? Better safety precautions? Better iceberg warnings? That's irrelevant to the newsletter about an offer to get a bundle of games for the price of just one, I would say.  :P

All in all, granted, silly typo, but the rest..  nah.. I can't say that they should have made it a sad sobbing story.. THEN, it would be disrespectful, imho. Don't forget, almost all companies that have anything to do with titanic in some way that is makes them money, will milk this year till it can't be milked no more, and most will do so with fake sad stories, but it's all about the dollar in the end anyway. At least Vstep is not going to pretend, but they surely do not disrespect the tragedy. To think that, is silly. No one in his right mind would diminish the tragic effect it had on so many lives.  

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 18:47:36 »

So why name her HMS Titanic?
(it's in the cookie box where this is coming from)
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 18:51:24 »

Typo..  misunderstanding..   probably not deliberate.  ;)

suzydavies

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 19:58:24 »

:captain: I`m with Firestar. I was somewhat dismayed to see HMS Titanic referred to twice in the ad. I`m sure the word that Firestar was looking for however was commemorate  rather than celebrate !

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 21:45:47 »

Well the word celebrate pops up all over all the titanic sites and such, I've seen it a lot these last days..  it's just slipped into the terminology I reckon. Because of the 'holy' status the ship and the sinking have with the so called, and self-proclaimed, buffs.  :)

It's just a bit silly to me, I mean no disrespect or anything. But more people died on much more tragic occasions as well.. you can't be mourning everything forever..  and just because popular media and urban mythology has put the Titanic on a - imho - undeserved pedestal, doesn't mean that everyone should join in with the big titanic group hug this year, lest we offend someone that can't get over it after even 100 years, and even without having any real connection with the ship and/or the people that died...   ::)

As it said.. a terrible tragedy. But I can name a whole lot more of those, there's plenty of tragedy going on right at this moment even. Why make a fuss about a 100 year old shipwreck at all.. what is so special about 100 years, anyway? They're all still just as dead as last year. But yeah, to get nitpicky about a newsletter for a simple offer to get a bundle of games at a discount..  Isn't that a bit overly dramatic?  Seriously?   :)

Firestar

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 01:00:23 »

Just the reply I'd expect full of accusations, presumptuous behavior and even more 'nit-pickyness' than I offered in the original post. Not to mention the parts that were disregarded and misinterpreted.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 01:51:08 »

If you don't want replies that you don't like, don't post such a topic then. Simple.

You post something that is almost as good as an insult to Vstep, and accuses (you used the word yourself, but you're the one doing it.) them of being money grubbers and disrepectful towards this almighty holy titanic disaster fanboism that you seem to have suddenly become a victim of too -  and boy I remember anti titanic pm's from you about just these kinda topics in the past, that make me laugh at this very topic now - and then act like the insulted party if you get a reply that's in perfectly normal perspective but not to your liking?

Please!

If you cannot respect other people's opinions and value them for what they are and cannot see how my reply speaks in general about the subject and not about you yourself, then maybe I am not the one being presumptuous.

You invited this to be debated, if you can't be mature about it, you know where the door is.

* Topic locked, due to the inability of the topic starter to be open minded to and respecful of the opinons of others.

Fred.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines