Hello Guest May 14, 2024, 17:26:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey there `IRISH JACK` !  (Read 6182 times)

Trampship Man

• Forum member
Hey there `IRISH JACK` !
« on: June 23, 2010, 12:59:30 »

Haven`t seen you around lately so just decided to wake you up.    You never did tell me what you thought of my
joke about Pat and Mick going `trout tickling`.  Nevermind though !     Anyway Jack, seriously now, all joking aside....Stay proud !  Don`t let them put the Irish `down`!  Remind the world that it does in fact owe a great deal to the Irish !  For example:- I`ll bet they don`t realise that it actually was the Irish who invented the lavatory seat ?   Mind you.... IT TOOK THE ENGLISH TO PUT A HOLE IN IT  !!!

I`m going off to my underground bunker now for a week or two, but please let me know when you`re `back to normal`.

Regards,
Ken.     
Trampshipman

clanky

• Forum member
Re: Hey there `IRISH JACK` !
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 14:28:10 »

I`ll bet they don`t realise that it actually was the Irish who invented the lavatory seat ?   Mind you.... IT TOOK THE ENGLISH TO PUT A HOLE IN IT  !!!

That's because the English are so full of **** :P

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 14:42:38 »

Hi Clanky,

While I agree that Ken’s remark was inappropriate for this forum, and more in that vein might lead to his riding off into the sunset – as he earlier promised, please refrain from escalating the situation, even with asterisks.

Regards,
Marty

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 17:31:35 »

Marty, my reply was a joke, as I am sure was Ken's original post.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 17:40:17 »

If I may interject something, clanky..

Even though it's obviously a joke, if a certain word is not proper enough to use on the forum, and you thus have to censor yourself with asterisks, then you should regard that word as off limits in any shape or form, and not use it's censored form either.

It's not how you swear, it's the swearing itself, that's not allowed. Be it in asterisks, alternative spelling ord proper spelling alike.

And I can't say that I am a big fan of generalising, derogatory remarks towards certain groups of people, one way or the other...   :-\

Regards,
Fred

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 17:44:45 »

So let me get this straight, English is a second language for you and you can speak it better than me?

D:

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 18:03:30 »

I beg your pardon?  :-\

--tractorman--

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 18:05:27 »

well I've never heard of 'asterisks' before, and that is in the english dictionary...

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 18:08:43 »

Oh hehe, I get it... well I am sure there are also English words I haven't heard of that you know, mate.  ;D
I don't think language skills are down to a single word, to be honest.  :P

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 18:31:07 »

Plimuff?
Almost never here, try here.

thom301

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 18:46:09 »

pli-muff?

;D

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 18:57:51 »

No.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 19:03:51 »

what you locals call plymouth?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 19:04:21 »

Very good, in one.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 19:06:46 »

do you think we should continue this in cookie box?

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 19:07:31 »

Yeah, OK...

mvsmith

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 19:15:44 »

well I've never heard of 'asterisks' before, and that is in the english dictionary...

Fred was just showing off; everyone else calls it a “splat”.

The word is from Greek: Asteriskos – little star.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 19:25:56 by mvsmith »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 19:58:32 »

Actually I call it an Asterisk too Marty. So would that mean I'm also showing off?

The word 'splat' sounds like that's what young children would call it.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 20:04:48 »

im kinda young and i've never called or heard it called it a splat however, i am quite computer literate

Trampship Man

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 20:15:24 »

If I may interject something, clanky..

Even though it's obviously a joke, if a certain word is not proper enough to use on the forum, and you thus have to censor yourself with asterisks, then you should regard that word as off limits in any shape or form, and not use it's censored form either.

It's not how you swear, it's the swearing itself, that's not allowed. Be it in asterisks, alternative spelling ord proper spelling alike.

And I can't say that I am a big fan of generalising, derogatory remarks towards certain groups of people, one way or the other...   :-\

Regards,
Fred

Hi Mad Fred,
                A short while ago I sent  `posts` to Clanky, Marty, and yourself, regarding the above.    Those `posts` seem to have disappeared into thin air. I can find no trace.    Has someone taken it upon themselves
to obliterate those posts ?  If so I would consider it to be most unreasonable and unfair to prevent other members reading them.  Particularly IRISH JACK who I happen to regard pretty highly.
          Based on past exchanges with you Fred, I trust you will give me a `straight answer` with no `flannel`!

Regards,
Ken.
Trampshipman

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 20:26:41 »

Haven`t seen you around lately so just decided to wake you up.    You never did tell me what you thought of my
joke about Pat and Mick going `trout tickling`.  Nevermind though !     Anyway Jack, seriously now, all joking aside....Stay proud !  Don`t let them put the Irish `down`!  Remind the world that it does in fact owe a great deal to the Irish !  For example:- I`ll bet they don`t realise that it actually was the Irish who invented the lavatory seat ?   Mind you.... IT TOOK THE ENGLISH TO PUT A HOLE IN IT  !!!

I`m going off to my underground bunker now for a week or two, but please let me know when you`re `back to normal`.

Regards,
Ken.     

Hahaha that's a good one with the toilet seat :lol: :D

With regards to me not being around so much...i've had exams constantly this past week; so i've been revising as much as I can for them.

Also - I read your joke about Paddy and Mick going fishing...I laughed at that for a considerable amount of time :lol:

Kind Regards,
Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 20:37:49 »

Hi Mad Fred,
                A short while ago I sent  `posts` to Clanky, Marty, and yourself, regarding the above.    Those `posts` seem to have disappeared into thin air. I can find no trace.    Has someone taken it upon themselves
to obliterate those posts ?  If so I would consider it to be most unreasonable and unfair to prevent other members reading them.  Particularly IRISH JACK who I happen to regard pretty highly.
          Based on past exchanges with you Fred, I trust you will give me a `straight answer` with no `flannel`!

Regards,
Ken.

Hi Ken,

I don't know which specific posts you are talking about, to tell you the truth. Was it in a specific topic, or were they topics of your own?

I don't see any entries in the moderation logs about removal of your posts or deleting of any topic of yours, to be honest. So I am afraid I can't really give you a concrete answer on this one.  :-\

Regards,
Fred

mvsmith

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 20:38:38 »

Actually I call it an Asterisk too Marty. So would that mean I'm also showing off?

The word 'splat' sounds like that's what young children would call it.

I suppose you consider all typographers to be young children. It is common usage with them to call an asterisk a splat, an exclamation point a “bang”, etc.
If you read my top post, you will see that I, also, called it an asterisk.

Fortunately, in addition to his excellent command of English, Fred has a good sense of humor, which you apparently lack.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 20:50:43 by mvsmith »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 22:23:48 »

Marty,

I am not going to get into a debate with you over this, but I do indeed have a sense of humour and only voiced my opinion that I thought a 'splat' sounded like what a child would perhaps have called it. I, myself have not heard of this before, and did not imply that you were a child, nor anything of the sort.

So if you're going to reply to people, at least do it in such a way that would not offend people, as I found your commend rather unpleasant.

At least I have a sense of humour and laughed it off ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 22:33:40 »

I've never heard it called a splat either, or a period a bang.

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines