Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 18:06:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I hereby invoke.......  (Read 4397 times)

clanky

• Forum member
I hereby invoke.......
« on: March 30, 2012, 21:11:03 »

Most regular contributors are well aware of “Godwin’s Law”,  which states

“As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1.”  therefore invoking Godwin’s Law has become the standard method of countering reductio ad hitlerum, with the argument being lost by default.  Such has been its success recent invocations have been extremely rare.

Unfortunately, in this opening year of centenaries, another horrific event in our history has become overused in political and social analogy, I am of course referring to the sinking of the RMS Titanic.  Already used for many years as an apt discription of coming disaster, the excessive use by media outlets, online blogs or in private conversation has cheapened the tragic events as well as sidelining the issues discussed, you could say it has become reductio ad titanicum.

Therefore I propose to introduce my own law, similar in nature to Mr. Godwin’s, but being a modest chap I will give the naming honour to someone more worthy, therefore from now on, if the Titanic is mentioned in a thread not directly relating to the sinking or commerations we should invoke …

“Winslet’s Law” and thereby eradicate this virus from our midst.

PS.  Ms Winslett or any other bearing that name have not been involved, consulted or endorse in any manner this issue.

danny

• Forum member
Re: I hereby invoke.......
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 23:12:57 »

But clanky... I thought you loved the titanic?
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 15:30:24 »

What you on about?
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 17:34:05 »

I wonder if iITANIC hadn't been SUNK by a lump of ice, would it have been sunk by hITLER and his nAZIS?

There you go- all three in one sentence.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 18:32:57 »

well thats impossible; Hitler and the nazis were from world war 2, in the 1940's. so did they use a time machine to sink it? :doh:
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 18:57:51 »

well thats impossible; Hitler and the nazis were from world war 2, in the 1940's. so did they use a time machine to sink it? :doh:

Or suffer the same fate as BRITANNIC or LUSITANIA by the Imperial German Navy during the World War One? We'll never know.....
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 19:00:17 »

one conspiracy theory says that Titanic's and Olympic's name plates were switched around so it was Olympic that's at the bottom of the north atlantic.

Today's weather:

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 19:51:25 »

one conspiracy theory says that Titanic's and Olympic's name plates were switched around so it was Olympic that's at the bottom of the north atlantic.

I don't get the conspiracy of it.  ???
2 near-identical ships which one had to switch names and sink?  :-\
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 22:44:31 »

Theres all sorts of strange titanic conspiracies out there. Non of them have any depth, however... (Sorry, I couldn't resist that  :angel:)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 22:57:46 by danny »

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 01:11:00 »

Go back and read what I said! ...if it hadn't been sunk...

Yoof of today don't listen they don't. ;)
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 11:27:12 »

Olympic was scrapped in 1933, so unlikely Titanic would have seen any Nazis, it would be more a case of if she survived WWI, as Kevinmcg_ships said

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 15:14:41 »

but what if Titanic survived into the '50s?
Today's weather:

virtualpilot

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 15:27:49 »

She most probably would have ended up as razor blades.
Cameron would not have made a film and most of this forum would be filled with items of interest.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 19:12:52 »

Cameron would not have made a film and most of this forum would be filled with items of interest.

"Like"

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 23:41:36 »

:2thumbs:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 15:35:38 »

Olympic was scrapped in 1933, so unlikely Titanic would have seen any Nazis, it would be more a case of if she survived WWI, as Kevinmcg_ships said

tfm, that is irrelevant to the proof of "winslets law" which has been proven beyond reasonable doubt by the posts herein.

Could you conclusively prove that because a sister ship was scrapped in 1933 that if follows that titanic would likewise.

Perhaps, tfm, you would have it that titanic would have ended up in the britanny ferries fleet? Perhaps you should propose that idea on that other forum where the rest of the nonsense is dumped!!!

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 21:55:50 »

The fact that White Star Line was in bad Financial trouble in 1933...?

Afterall, why would they scrap the Olympic at all if she was a fine ship still...?  ;)

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 23:46:27 »

Irrelevant, tfm and you (should) know it.

It is perfectly possible to have sister ships and one is scrapped long before the other
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines