Hello Guest May 06, 2024, 10:13:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is there any way to boost gfx?  (Read 1358 times)

inf1

• Forum member
is there any way to boost gfx?
« on: November 29, 2012, 22:46:10 »

hi, is there any way to boost gfx to that misleading game screenshot? i mean, its not render...
developer screenshot:

reality:

or project is really dead?

inf1

• Forum member
Re: is there any way to boost gfx?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 22:58:50 »

well, this is kind of possible to tweak water little bit to make it look close to that screenshot... but that part around ship - looks like it just was photoshopped.  :'(

inf1

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 23:07:30 »

well, ill just hope devs are making new ship simulator with FLUID water.
just look at this 2010 demo (which is runnin in real time on single-GPU)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1JrM4ujLY_A
i just wonder how this will looke like in hurricane with big ship.

inf1

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 00:49:23 »

i dont even know if devs are still visiting this board, but... ive readed about this early screenshots history and just wondering, why the hell did you complitly removed this gfx features from the game? cpu and gpu specs increases every year, just leave option in some ini/cfg file to turn 'extreme gfx' on and just leave it for users to decide when thier PC will be ready to run it.

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:36:26 »

Just to inform. Implementing advanced graphics inside a game is not just done by 3 clicks and applying a new DX12 patch. These things require work, CPU/GPU power, and probably a lot of money aswell.
The footage in the video you posted looks high-tech indeed, and seems to have potential for future gaming.
But I doubt they create this for charity. I would not blame it on V-step for not using it. Because since this video comes from 2010, why did no other game use this already?

I believe I read a similar discussion once a while ago. The screenshots were indeed taken ingame with some photoshop applied to it. (like the bow wake) But to be fair, I remember other games showing pre-gameplay screenshots which also looked (far)better than the end result. Mafia 2, Hitman absolution, GTA IV, just to name a few. It may be misleading indeed, but it's certainly not uncommon.

inf1

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:00:29 »

iam not blaming v-step for not using fluid simulation for water - iam just hoping someone (maybe vstep) will user real water simulation technologies to make some ship simulators.

and iam also asking vstep to make more gfx options if its possible (even if it will run at 5fps at 5000$ PC).

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 13:07:15 »

I doubt they will ever implement this. They are already struggling with FPS problems.
Besides, a core rule in game development: Better graphics do not make a better game.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 15:37:28 »

Actually, better graphics are one of the golden rules in game development..
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Mr Robville

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 19:01:41 »

Not really. If a game developer puts way too much effort in graphics, the gameplay suffers.
I'm not saying better graphics are bad. I'm just saying that better graphics do not play any role at how good the game is. As long as the atmosphere is right.

Of course any game developer would want to have great graphics, but you can deffinetly tell when one has put way too much effort into it.

Crysis for example. Wonderfull graphics, but glitchy as hell. Left 4 dead 2, makes use of the good old Source engine, Not world's most amazing graphics, but it works like a charm and is really entertaining. (not saying Crysis ain't)
And you have Metro 2033 as a fine example. It looks wonderfull, but the game is lacking in programming. Which can make it hard to be played at some points.

Gaming rule #68

You can even go back into time with the rip-off games on the Mattel electronics Intellivision. Some were based on Atari 2600 games. They looked better, but controls were stiff.

So it's only a golden rule for an amateur developer I think.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 19:08:14 by mr robville »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines