Hello Guest May 05, 2024, 17:54:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puts on Sunglasses... Its 2am... Where is the Dark Night?  (Read 1257 times)

The Ferry Man

• Forum member

Hi

I am playing on MP, and have noticed something...

the in-game clock says 2:00AM

Yet, the sky is grey - you can see clouds... and everything is pretty light - see attached picture

Doesn't look like a port at 2am... :/

Two pics, from two sessions...

8) <- me on the bridge with sunglasses on...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:27:10 by The Ferry Man »

matt5674

Re: Puts on Sunglasses... Its 2am...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:48:31 »

Looks like the Midnight Sun finally hits Dover :doh: :lol:

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:54 »

yeh, that looks like an average midday for the UK :doh:

The problem is when people will complain because they can't see where their going at night time, it's hard to judge what is the approriate light levels at night and i guess they got it a bit wrong so others complain about it not being dark enough.

Think about it this way, if you choose to do a night sailing for the first time you spawn and you can't see a thing like in reality, many people will be put off straight away. Where-as at the current light people can see and can still enjoy it, but then someone else always complains and people say it is to light  ::)

Possibly if they have a sliding bar so you could adjust how dark the night would be that will keep everyone happy.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:44:58 by Ralphy »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:49 »

But its not realistic...

And when you spawn, you have the map/radar/heading to show you where you are etc...  :-\

Real Night:

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 16:57:34 »

[Are those pics by you?]

I agree with TFM. And sailing from dover to calais is more fun if you are able to see the lights of calais on the horizon and when you normally get close to the port you will know where you are. If a Ship SIimulator has to be realistic then this should be done. When its dark the sky should also be black and not grey. Imaging yourself on POR (or the new ferries) Departing from Dover and after that you will be able to see a few lights on the horizon. You look at your map/Chart and follow the route to where Calais is . When you reach the middle you will see that dover is also just a part of light (which acutally looks great). Then you approach Calais and on the map you will see where you are and you follow that into port and dock. (this would also be great when there is cabin lights onboard ferries which would make the sphere even better.

People got to take on the challenge to sail in the dark even if it might be hard. Look at FS, They have dark skies. They didnt look at a few individuals and left the majority in dark.. If people learn how to handle night ferry's then after that they will get used to how to sail ships in the dark and become master on it.
And i think some Dark missions would help them learn how to work on a ship when its dark
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 17:00:19 by The Ferry King »

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
Re: Puts on Sunglasses... Its 2am... Where is the Dark Night?
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 18:57:50 »

But of course  8)

Snakebyte92

• Forum member
Re: Puts on Sunglasses... Its 2am... Where is the Dark Night?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 19:06:56 »

I noticed it aswell. It's so fake.. I totally agree that it isn't dark at all. It's just a bit cloudy.

This is how it should be. :2thumbs: Ship light and sky dark and not the other way around. Because that's pretty much it.
And maybe if it's getting more real dark. It would be nice to dim the radar and chart, they are already pretty bright at 2.00 and if it's getting really dark it's going to be a bit overwhelming I suppose. And it's of course more realistic.
Cadet Holland America Line
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines