Hello Guest May 22, 2024, 01:03:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Does anyone like motor racing?  (Read 20015 times)

Person264

• Forum member
Re: Does anyone like motor racing?
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2008, 12:36:11 »

I don't have a ps3 cos I use my computer for gaming. Has anyone seen a pc side by side with a ps3 cos it would be interesting to see which has the better graphics.

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:43 »

I don't have a ps3 cos I use my computer for gaming. Has anyone seen a pc side by side with a ps3 cos it would be interesting to see which has the better graphics.

Depends on what graphics card you have on your PC. a simple one will be crushed by PS3, but the top of the range one will be a PS3 graphics challenger :D
DiamondEagleDB09rms On youtube! Now with New Playlist!
<br />Thanks to TJK for this awesome Sig!

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2008, 19:57:48 »

No I mean as in the actual game so if you put all the sliders up to maximum on a computer game e.g. Grid would it match the detail in a ps3 or xbox?

Nathan|C

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 21:17:18 »

wohoo, I bought Race Grid Driver today, can't wait, looks really good on YouTube   ;D

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 03:42:42 »

i have grid..  Its awesome

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 09:46:30 »

No I mean as in the actual game so if you put all the sliders up to maximum on a computer game e.g. Grid would it match the detail in a ps3 or xbox?

Hard to say, graphics on PS3 are pretty awesome, but absolute maximum should just match the PS3 graphics I presume.

wohoo, I bought Race Grid Driver today, can't wait, looks really good on YouTube   ;D

Nathan its absolutly incredible! There is not a wide range of tracks, but you hardly notice. I dont like drifting, But i love the le mans series and touring cars. And the fact that you can do the le mans 24 hours is brilliant, I like the pro muscle and prestige race types aswell. only problem with the game is i dont think there is a multiplayer offline mode.

Nathan|C

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 10:39:48 »

No matter how good a graphics card you have, it'll never beat playing a PS3 Game on a Full HD Television  :P

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 11:41:37 »

And if you add the HDMI cord you get SUPER graphics

Jayshum

• Forum member
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:47 »

Guys, you're being unfair to the Xbox here. It comes down to a simple choice if you can't choose between them (and I can say so, because I have both, bonus of working for developers!).

The Xbox 360 is far, far superior to the PS3 in every single way except one, and that's HD films (Blu-ray). The social experience over Xbox Live introduced me to friends all over the world, and got me (believe it or not), my job (albeit temporary one) working for Rockstar North on GTA4 (music dept). The friends system, achievements, gamerscore, messages, video-chat, they all help to build an amazing experience. Plus, games that are released multi-platform (GTA4, CoD4 are the 2 that come to mind) are much more immersive (and look prettier, regardless of what the stats might indicate). Just to follow on on that, the 360 did hold GTA4, but it was much easier to work on that platform that it was for the PS3 (thus the glitches I suppose). CoD4 utilizes Xbox Live to perfection in my opinion. I've been playing a lot of Cage Match lately (1 on 1), and even though there's been about only 300 people worldwide (not just in Europe, like PS3), I've found games nearly instantly. I could go on and on, but I'll quickly post about the good things about the PS3 so I don't seem to be biased (I'm not a fanboy, I don't align myself to one thing, I just choose the one which for me has given me the best experience).
The PS3's Blu-Ray function ruined it from the get go (£450 at launch), but is currently saving it from flat-out losing this 'console-war', with it's ability to play HD films. I just got the Dark Knight on BR for Christmas, and it's genuinely breath-taking. So that's one thing it does well. I also think Home could be something big, but not until Sony open up PSN to a world-wide service, and not just a region-locked one.
Game-wise, there's not many Playstation franchises that I'm a fan of (I loath Metal Gear Solid, much prefer Splinter Cell in that category), but Gran Turismo is the finest console 'automobile-showcase'. I call it that (as I do Forza) because they're not great racing games, they get boring, but GT:5P looks life-like, and that's amazing in my eyes. The addition of the F1-2007, and Suzuka, well that's a match made in racing-game heaven! It trounces Forza 2 in every way, but that's got nothing to do with the fact it uses blu-ray discs, or apparently has more power inside, it's got everything to do with Polyphony Digital being masters at making games.
Finally, I can't comment on Little Big Planet, because I really don't like games like that anymore (I'd have loved it if I was 5 years old, but not 23!). Here's a quick pro/con list for James mainly, but it could help a couple more of you open your minds!

Xbox 360
Pro's:
Fantastic Online Play
A huge array of brilliant and enjoyable games that you literally get lost in. Halo, GTA4: The Lost and Damned, Gears of War, Splinter Cell, and Forza for online racing, are all in-house to Xbox.
It's the most social console, Xbox Live being open to the entire planet, and not just restricted to your continent. I have many American and Canadian friends, and I can't play with them on my PS3. :(
Xbox Live Arcade: Uno, Sonic (the megadrive, and best versions), Castle Crashers, small games you download. ALL have a free trial you can download, before you buy.
The Recently added NXE (new dashboard) added one amazing new feature, Party Chat. It enables me to talk to up to 8 people, whilst we all do either the same thing, or our own thing. e.g. I could be playing Call of Duty 4, whilst one of my friends play Halo, and another watches the a film (or plays Ship Sim on the PC). ;)
The controller is the best game-pad made to date.
Con's:
Older console models, built prior to May 2008, have I'd say a 50% chance they'll suffer the RRoD. I've lost 3 this way, and waiting 2 weeks for a replacement every year is a pain in the backside. This has finally been addressed according to some friends I have in the industry, with this new model that should be on shelves now (uses a new CPU called 'Jasper'. No relation to Carrot).
It can't play Blu-Ray. You can download HD films from Xbox Live Marketplace, but they're nowhere near as crisp as they are on the PS3.

PS3:
Pro's
Built-in Blu-Ray drive, enables you to watch HD films at their best.
Has the Gran Turismo series on it.
Con's
Not many other games to choose from. If you loved Metal Gear Solid, or you love children's style platformers, then the PS3 has you covered. Apart from that, the only other exclusive is Resistance: Fall of Man 1 and 2. I found they absolutely paled in comparison to Gears of War for example though. It's meant to be a trashy, interactive action-movie, and it took itself far too seriously for me.
Controller feels cheap. It's far too light, and is really uncomfortable for me to use. Whenever I play mine, I use a modded Xbox 360 controller anyway, so that's no problem for me.

Both consoles are as good as each other at displaying games (Full 1080p), both of them have HDMI ports, it's just the Xbox 360 has far more to choose from. You'll find things like framerates and anti-aliasing to be much better on the 360 though, and the social experience is outstanding. Whether you just meet and play with people, or you argue with a small-minded American at 2am in the morning who thinks you have bad teeth, and make love to the Queen on a regular basis, crumpet in one hand, cup of tea in the other, I just find it a lot better! (sorry if the last part is offensive to anyone ;)).
Quick summary.
Xbox 360 if you're a competitive, harcore gamer.
PS3 is it's just for racing games, and watching films on Blu-Ray. 

EDIT: sorry for going hugely off-topic, but we're all Racing game fans, so I just wanted to elaborate a bit.

Nathan|C

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 13:32:04 »

The Xbox 360 is far, far superior to the PS3 in every single way except one, and that's HD films (Blu-ray).

Now you're being unfair to the PS3! Before i got a PS3 i used to play CoD4 at a friends on the Xbox, and the graphics are far superior on the PS3, even using my rubbish 90s TV in my bedroom - if you want the best graphics get a PS3 with a HD TV, like we have downstairs.

My Dad's playing Gran Turismo 5 Prolouge right now, and the graphics look like real life, seriously.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2008, 17:42:48 »

You can get blu-ray for pc, play on beyond-high-definition resolutions and online is free aside from isp costs. But I apologise for going off topic. Race Driver grid is probably the best driving game at the moment, and doing drifting online is very fun, if annoying at times.
Jayshum you didn't mention computers

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2008, 17:56:51 »

Im not into drifting on race driver grid. Circuit racing is my thing. le mans series and touring cars-brilliant! Driving a Koenigsegg is brilliant in the prestige series aswell! and the zonda, and the aston martin DBR9, .....

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2008, 18:04:25 »

Have you got the ps3 dlc with the volvo c30 and mclaren f1 and nissan gtr amongst other extra cars? It costs £10 nd isn't out on pc yet. One of my favourite tracks is probably jarama for just driving round and trying to get good laps, and the demolition derby is great with the immense damage model.

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2008, 18:07:49 »

I havnt got the dlc yet. I need to get an etha-something-or-other cable so I can use playstation network. then i will be able to buy the dlc pack. It looks good with the mclaren and Volvo touring car, the sooner I get networked the better!

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2008, 18:13:30 »

lets try not to argue about the PS3 and Xbox war.. We can leave that to the companies

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2008, 18:14:49 »

lets try not to argue about the PS3 and Xbox war.. We can leave that to the companies

Yeah well said! I know enough about PS3 vs Xbox wars to last me a good year.............

Nathan|C

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2008, 21:07:14 »

Anyone heard of "Race Pro"?

http://www.igcd.net/movie.php?id=10000663&width=1280

Looks interesting, only available on Xbox360 though  :-\

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2008, 21:18:47 »

I've seen that. Its mainly based on the world touring car championship, but with supporting formulas aswell. Looks good, shame its only xbox exclusive :(.

On another gaming note, I cant wait for codemasters F1 2009.

Nathan|C

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2008, 21:19:16 »

I'm looking forward to Race Grid Driver, the touring car championship looks great..  ;D

1 More Post to go....

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2008, 21:24:07 »

Race Driver Grid nathan ;) :D

The touring cars are great. I love how on race driver grid you make your own team, design the livery and choose sponsors, and choose a team mate, although I change my team mate quite often becuase they all have their prefered race class, so a touring car driver trying to do Formula 3, not succesful. So I change my team mate evry time I try a different class of racing.

and 999, dont dial that number unless your on fire, just post one more ;)

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2008, 12:54:53 »

My team mate is Antonio fidanzi and he's generally not good at much but he was cheap at the start so I've stuck with him. If you stick with them long enough they seem to get better at driving the different cars. So the first few races in an unfamiliar car they will be rubbish, but soon they will be challenging you.

P.s. Just got Wi-Fi so this was sent from my iPod 

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2008, 13:38:46 »

from your ipod, nice!  :) You say about keeping a driver for a long time because its cheaper, but you get to a point in the game when it doesn matter, Currently I've got about £27.5 million just floating around in my teams bank account doing nothing. Still, at least I can buy any car that I want! :D

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2008, 15:22:30 »

Yeh I know what you mean. Do you know where you buy the Porsche GT3 RSR? Cos I've got all the others and I can't seem to find it. ???

RMSGreatBritain

• Forum member
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2008, 16:12:41 »

I dont actually. That is an interesting topic, I've seen it in the GT2 class of the le mans series but on Race Day mode there is no sign of it, Neither can I find it when entering any race mode of Grid World mode. So whether its just an unplayable car or not i dont know.

Person264

• Forum member
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2008, 16:22:49 »

I'll have a look next time Le-Mans comes round. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines