Hello Guest May 04, 2024, 16:44:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello and Nooby Questions  (Read 2005 times)

AriseAbove

• Forum member
Hello and Nooby Questions
« on: August 22, 2008, 00:51:48 »

G Day All,

To start with thanks for a great game I really enjoyed the demo's and made a vid on the 2006 one but never got it but I went out and bought the latest game 2008 just recently and having a ball with it :)

My youtube vid, made yonks ago and no I couldn't get the full 2006 where i lived at the time:(
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOySNNyyyA

Although I am very dissapointed that there seems to be a clear difference in opinon on how people should and shouldn't play there own game from what I have been reading here on these forums.

One of the reasons I bought the game was from watching a youtube vid with some very large waves and although I must admit the novelty of doing that would run out very quickly for me but it would be nice if at least the option would be there.

And the rude responce's about banning or loosing support for people who ask about wave height thats actually almost enough to make me want to take the game back and get my money back as Admin should be used to been asked the same questions over and over by new players.

Anyway enough of the negative stuff. I was wondering about multiplayer as I haven't clicked on it yet as I wanted to do some of the missions first to get used to whats going on :) Like above on my vid its just me sailing to checkpoint to checkpoint completely ignoring any actual shipping lanes and I most certainly don't want to jump on there and accidently ram or get in some one's way:( then get myself booted off the server :(

Where are the servers hosted? is there more than 1? I'm in Australia am I going to suffer edited for language - Terry lag?

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 22:25:33 by TerryRussell »

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
Re: Hello and Nooby Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 01:26:11 »

Vstep servers are hosted in the Netherlands, there are about 10 Official VSTEP servers and as many user servers as people make them. If you accidentally ram just say sorry and you'll be fine, just don't go out and start headed towards people and ramming then. Start with a small boat so you can get the feel of multiplayer, I am from the USA and I don't suffer much lag from the VSTEP servers, although there can be lag with players from other parts where they look like they are back a way but really they are pretty far ahead, just don't cut in front of boats because that is where you could accidentally ram them because of lag, go behind them.

AriseAbove

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:31:22 »

Cool thanks :)

pauljanaway1

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:37:22 »

one thing aswell the wave hight coments are right is you edit the game so waves are large like in the vidos you will lose the saport from vstep and this forum as it is not allowed

AriseAbove

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 11:01:32 »

one thing aswell the wave hight coments are right is you edit the game so waves are large like in the vidos you will lose the saport from vstep and this forum as it is not allowed

That doesn't make sence though if its so illegal then why are the youtubes vids not removed? as they would be in breach of game exploiting and admin here could do that but have not done so and those vids have been there for a very long time.

Futher more going off at new players is dicegracefull at appears you have a very low population as it is so what does admin do instead of welcoming new players they abuse them with some rule a newby player wouldn't have a clue as to what there on about.

It also doesn't say anywhere here on my game manuel or TERMS OF USE about me be banned or my suport cancelled because I'm asking a question based on why I bought the game!!!

No wonder the servers are empty, when ya got people saying he ya go heres a ship sim but ya have to play the way we say otherwise we ain't supporting you even though your supporting us by purchasing our product. Thast just really sad.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 11:20:36 »

Hiya AriseAbove,

I think you have a bit of an odd view on some things.  :-\

We're are always happy to welcome new players to our community and we try our best to help everyone with any kind of problem they might have.

The video's are not a direct violation of the rules, as such, so they can host them on youtube if they want. People can still use the waves 'hack' if they run 1.0.  It's not that they are forbidden to do this, but they just don't get any support when they do so.

As for the huge waves themselves go, it's rather simple. In the license agreement, you will find a load of rules and regulations, that are basically there in every game you own. One of these rules is often not to "reverse engineer" the game. And with this game, this rule too applies.

The very high waves were achieved by doing just this. And it's just not allowed, this is what you agree upon when you install the game, when you tick the little box after reading the EULA. (which hardly anyone ever really does). When a person violates the EULA, like when they edit a bit of the game that is not meant to be edited, then the software developer cannot guarantee the game to run as it was intended anymore.

As such, people would probably experience problems with the software, or things would simply behave strangely, which can also be a reason for the Technical support staff to get a lot of unnecessary questions.

So as such, people that reverse engineer their game, do not get any technical support from us, since there is no solution when problems occur, other than to play the game with all the contents in the intended form.

If you edit the waves, the ships will react totally unrealistic, that's why they did not want to make this possible to the players. But when people hack this, then that's not VSTEP's problem, it is not like they have taken a game feature away from the customers.

I hope that explains that a bit. You will not get banned from the forum, you will not get banned from Multiplayer, you will not get banned for just talking about it. What happens when you alter game files you are not allowed to alter, is that you lose the technical support and your warranty. But you're still welcome here when you do. And of course you'd have to take for granted that you need to run 1.0 and cannot update. Since the loophole that created this 'hack' possibility was closed down.

It has nothing to do with "play it the way we say". It is a regular rule that you'll find in almost all games you have. hacking or cracking, or however you want to call it, a game's contents to alter it, is not a feature that you buy a game for. You can play the game any way you see fit, you just cannot alter certain parts of the program.

And for your information, the staff spend hours and hours every day to keep everything going, so that you can enjoy all of this, a bit more respect wouldn't hurt, specially since you are new here and you cannot possibly know yet what we are all about or what we do. Going off at new members, Abusing players, you say?  hardly... I think it is us that get the most abuse, actually.  :D

Sure, we point them to exsisting topics if they do not use the search button and post the same obvious questions again and again. But in the end, that's much better than answering the same questions again and again and again and again and again.. well, you get the point.   ;)

So anyway, welcome to the forums, I hope you have a good time here.

Kind regards,
Fred
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 11:25:16 by Mad_Fred »

AriseAbove

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 14:24:14 »

Ok then thanks for explaining it in more detail :)

Unfortunatly for me I can't do it anyway as my version is 1.4 standard installed let alone 1.0 and as I said above the novilty would run out very quickly.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 14:53:02 »

My pleasure!!  :)

Regards,
Fred

Capt. Le Velle

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 03:15:28 »

Fred i have a question the vstep server do they ever get signed off

Pain is weakness leaving the body-Special Ops Instructors.
http://www.freewebs.com/shipsimusa/

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 05:57:14 »

Hiya Capt. Le Velle,

Whay do you mean by signed off, shut down alltogether, or rebooted, refreshed, maybe restarted with another setup?

Yep, they do go down now and again. Deliberatly sometimes, for maintenance, to change the configuration, to reboot them, and sometimes by themselves, because of a technical issue, or a crash, etc.

Regards,
Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines