Hello Guest May 06, 2024, 19:38:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1027   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cookie Box MkII - On stranger tides  (Read 3385335 times)

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
Re: The Cookie Box MkII - On stranger tides
« Reply #24450 on: May 07, 2013, 16:33:02 »

Nope. Back in the battle of Britain, we started to run out of planes - so, to combat this problem, some very smart boffins managed to strap some engines onto the city of Lancaster and make it fly. It was then used as a heavy bomber in the war, before being retired from service and used for housing.

The people who lived on it have become known as "Lancastrians".

;D

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #24451 on: May 07, 2013, 21:32:23 »

Nope. Back in the battle of Britain, we started to run out of planes - so, to combat this problem, some very smart boffins managed to strap some engines onto the city of Lancaster and make it fly. It was then used as a heavy bomber in the war, before being retired from service and used for housing.

seems legit
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

Ralphy

• Forum member
« Reply #24452 on: May 09, 2013, 21:49:41 »

As an avid fan of WWII and being English I can confirm this is 100% true

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #24453 on: May 09, 2013, 21:54:55 »

The mighty Lancaster was "top secret" until a few months ago - So details about it are only just starting to emerge.
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #24454 on: May 10, 2013, 00:24:11 »

Speaking of declassified content, I just heard today that in the '50s the US Army launched an atomic bomb test on 12,000 soldiers in trenches. Only three survived. How appalling!  >:(
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24455 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:19 »

If true, it would seem the soldiers were being used as lab rats. A terrible thing to consider..

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #24456 on: May 10, 2013, 07:39:00 »

The mighty Lancaster was "top secret" until a few months ago - So details about it are only just starting to emerge.

i have seen her a year ago?

saltydog

• Forum member
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:05:11 by saltydog »

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #24459 on: May 11, 2013, 12:38:05 »

Yeah Carnival Spirit. The couple were caught on CCTV falling (or jumping) over the edge...  :-\

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24460 on: May 11, 2013, 14:06:33 »

Its sad these kind of stories but there not unusual. I was on the Stena Europe last year with school and we got off the ferry and to hear the next day that on the journey back to Ireland (the one after we were on) someone had took had died on the ferry from taking an overdose.
We  also have one or two people who jump of the ferry a year, so its not unusual here sadly.
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

larsdehaan

« Reply #24461 on: May 11, 2013, 20:59:04 »

I think i´ve experianced something like this last year when returning from norway,
I was outside, With my Wife to smoke a Sigarette, There was a woman Sitting against the wall, On a blanket, reading a book and drinking a bottle of wine, Then a few hours later, She was still there, Came back, Still there, Then we went for another Sigarette and the lady had vanised, leaving her stuff, A crewmember talking urgently and concerned over the radio, Then a few hours later i went there to look, And the stuff was still there.
The following morning we had arrived in Kiel at the Norwegenkai, And trough the ship´s speakers they couldnt find the owner of a car Anywhere onboard the ship.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #24462 on: May 11, 2013, 21:47:22 »

A bit more info on this incident. Apparently the couple were argueing, and the woman climbed over the railings and either fell or jumped in. Then man then jumped in after, either to try and save her or take his own life. Very sad... :(

PS: This is only what I have heard. Please don't blame me if this is wrong.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24463 on: May 12, 2013, 02:10:46 »

It seems that is somehow what happened..

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/paramedic-paul-rossingtom-jumped-from-ship-to-save-girlfriend-kristen-schroder/story-e6frg6nf-1226639692649

Imagine seeing your girlfriend falling into the ocean. Would you jump in after her, or would you alert the ship?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:46:51 by saltydog »

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #24464 on: May 12, 2013, 03:04:33 »

I don't know what that guy was thinking. It would have been much smarter to alert someone instead of trying to take matters into your own hands.

But then again, she was his girlfriend and he probably wanted to be lost (probably dead  :-\) with her.
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

saltydog

• Forum member
« Reply #24465 on: May 12, 2013, 03:36:38 »

In Hollywood, the hero would have jumped in, saved his girlfriend, beaten up the sharks, and swam with her to a deserted island, where they would have found LOVE again.. ;)

But yes, alerting the ship would have been a smarter thing to do..
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:42:40 by saltydog »

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #24466 on: May 12, 2013, 07:16:34 »

MOB boats have a history more than 100 years long for exactly this purpose....

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #24467 on: May 12, 2013, 08:44:59 »

In Hollywood, the hero would have jumped in, saved his girlfriend, beaten up the sharks, and swam with her to a deserted island, where they would have found LOVE again.. ;)

as far as i know there are always crew members everywhere whereas in this case they were inside the main rooms,
but still a little run wouldn't have been so bad would it?

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #24468 on: May 12, 2013, 08:49:23 »

I think i´ve experianced something like this last year when returning from norway,
I was outside, With my Wife to smoke a Sigarette, There was a woman Sitting against the wall, On a blanket, reading a book and drinking a bottle of wine, Then a few hours later, She was still there, Came back, Still there, Then we went for another Sigarette and the lady had vanised, leaving her stuff, A crewmember talking urgently and concerned over the radio, Then a few hours later i went there to look, And the stuff was still there.
The following morning we had arrived in Kiel at the Norwegenkai, And trough the ship´s speakers they couldnt find the owner of a car Anywhere onboard the ship.

Did this reach the news headlines? if it is could you please share it,
i typed in overboard to see that this isn't really a very very rare case, it does happen and when it does it makes me concerned about whether the cruise ship railings are actually safe enough for younger children to stand next to. (teenagers and adults, not children=Edit)

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24469 on: May 12, 2013, 09:15:21 »

Yes sadly you got to alert your crew.
Here to reduce deaths on the ship, they put perry boys which are alarmed and alarm the bridge. Supposedly they have a piece of software now which also gives a radius of where the person is so they can find them quicker
Captain Cadet

larsdehaan

« Reply #24470 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:18 »

Did this reach the news headlines? if it is could you please share it,
i typed in overboard to see that this isn't really a very very rare case, it does happen and when it does it makes me concerned about whether the cruise ship railings are actually safe enough for younger children to stand next to. (teenagers and adults, not children=Edit)
Could've been on the norwegian news, Not sure.

Dannypenguin

• Forum member
« Reply #24471 on: May 12, 2013, 09:33:07 »

When we go on cruises, when I'm not with my parents I'm not allowed to lean on or look over the railings on the promenade deck and I'm only allowed to on the top deck if there are balconies to land on underneath even though the railings are up to my chest.  

To be honest, I'm not sure if there is much more cruise companies can do. The only thing they could try is, instead of normal railings, use glass 'fences' (a half glass wall type thing), as children couldn't fit through the holes (as there aren't any) and adults would struggle to climb over because its slippery. It wouldn't prevent falling, although I don't think there is any way you could prevent that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:35:19 by Dannypenguin »

larsdehaan

« Reply #24472 on: May 12, 2013, 09:56:59 »

When we go on cruises, when I'm not with my parents I'm not allowed to lean on or look over the railings on the promenade deck and I'm only allowed to on the top deck if there are balconies to land on underneath even though the railings are up to my chest.  

To be honest, I'm not sure if there is much more cruise companies can do. The only thing they could try is, instead of normal railings, use glass 'fences' (a half glass wall type thing), as children couldn't fit through the holes (as there aren't any) and adults would struggle to climb over because its slippery. It wouldn't prevent falling, although I don't think there is any way you could prevent that.
Barbed wire put under electricity Maybe?
On a serious note though, I find the railings pretty safe, And i cant imagine anyone Falling in, except if climbing over the railing or being pushed.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #24473 on: May 12, 2013, 11:59:49 »

Barbed wire put under electricity Maybe?
On a serious note though, I find the railings pretty safe, And i cant imagine anyone Falling in, except if climbing over the railing or being pushed.
the only way you can "fall in" here now is that if you clime over the railings as there 1.5m high with us. But you cant stop people from jumping sadly but you can make it tougher for them.
Captain Cadet

larsdehaan

« Reply #24474 on: May 12, 2013, 12:45:19 »

I wonder if anyone has ever though of a Catching net around the ship...
Pages: 1 ... 977 978 [979] 980 981 ... 1027   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines