Hello Guest May 18, 2024, 04:46:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1027   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cookie Box MkII - On stranger tides  (Read 3393843 times)

The Ferry King

• Forum member
Re: The Cookie Box MkII - On stranger tides
« Reply #23900 on: November 12, 2012, 14:39:01 »

Hello Cookie Box, 12th November 2012

larsdehaan

« Reply #23901 on: November 12, 2012, 17:30:48 »

Trying to populate the Rotterdam server..

The Ferry King

• Forum member
« Reply #23902 on: November 13, 2012, 08:49:00 »

i cannot believe this  :C

larsdehaan

« Reply #23903 on: November 13, 2012, 14:33:08 »

Altough the forum is Low on activity, The Servers seem to do good judging by the MP Album and Self experiance.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #23904 on: November 13, 2012, 16:55:55 »

Not really, as all the activity is only on one server. The rest are dead :/
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

larsdehaan

« Reply #23905 on: November 13, 2012, 17:48:56 »

It's Still more then it was however.

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #23906 on: November 17, 2012, 17:36:33 »

I think it is because: during the Summer some people are off from work/school, and those people post alot.
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #23907 on: November 17, 2012, 21:07:21 »

Any idea if the new bulk carrier DLC might include lakers? If it didn't, I would consider that to be the second disappointment in a row as far as DLC goes....

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #23908 on: November 18, 2012, 13:37:48 »

Well, how's about a little sneak preview then?

ci

• Forum member
« Reply #23909 on: November 18, 2012, 13:44:23 »

ah Lakers now i get it  :thumbs:

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #23910 on: November 18, 2012, 13:55:56 »

Nice one lol
Icwutudidthar
My PC specs:
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM

The Ferry Man

• Forum member
« Reply #23911 on: November 18, 2012, 19:20:43 »

Good Evening All...

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #23912 on: November 18, 2012, 21:58:15 »

Also, gotta love how the biggest argument against adding Titanic is that it would be better for VSTEP to improve the game than to add a new ship, while here we are with the bulk carrier DLC coming out despite the fact that the Big Apple 2 ferry hasn't had its rudder problems fixed since the add-on was released and the propellers on ships still synchronize to the control settings instead of to the RPM counter, which is a bug that the game has had for as long as I can remember! ::)

Can VSTEP at least contact the guys building Titanic II? Because the other big problem that keeps getting tossed about is that Titanic is gone, so it would be very unusual to see such an old, illegal ship in a modern simulator. Titanic II would make that a non-issue! ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 21:59:55 by RMS Gigantic »

LucAtC

• Ship Simulator Developer
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23913 on: November 19, 2012, 01:45:22 »

Hello RMS Gigantic,

The coming DLC is not a bulk carrier DLC, even if one of the ships that you saw in the teaser is a sand loaded motor barge.
I wasn't able to reproduce the faulty rotation of the Big Apple 2 rudder blade, about a longitudinal axis instead of a vertical one, like you mentioned in May last year. The]file controlling (C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstep\ShipSimExtremes\Projects\ShipSimExtremes\Data\Entities\Ships\SIFerry) the movement is the SIFerry.bdg, last modified 02/02/2011 11:56:40, 4385 bytes long.
The file was part of the build 1066, but your update didn't work well eventually. The attached file is the correct one, but I am not sure it can replace directly the existing one if you have a Steam version.

The throttle controls are linked by design to the rotational speed of the propellers indeed, and it is therefore not a bug, no more than the pitch settings are not simulated. Nevertheless, the thrust of most propellers is controlled by RPM and/or pitch setting, slip ratio and propeller characteristics. The rotation of the propellers is just visuals, just as it is the case for the rudders.

Regards,
Luc

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #23914 on: November 19, 2012, 02:04:04 »

I hope Gabe Newell plays Minecraft, so he can see this:

We need to avenge Eli Vance's death!
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #23915 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:33 »

I wasn't able to reproduce the faulty rotation of the Big Apple 2 rudder blade, about a longitudinal axis instead of a vertical one, like you mentioned in May last year. The]file controlling (C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstep\ShipSimExtremes\Projects\ShipSimExtremes\Data\Entities\Ships\SIFerry) the movement is the SIFerry.bdg, last modified 02/02/2011 11:56:40, 4385 bytes long.
The file was part of the build 1066, but your update didn't work well eventually. The attached file is the correct one, but I am not sure it can replace directly the existing one if you have a Steam version.

Regards,
Luc
That attached file did not resolve my issue, and my version is not the Steam one. Also, it's not that the rudder rotates on the wrong axis; it rotates just fine relative to itself when in that position, but it travels to that position, either by so much as nudging the controls or possibly on its own accord with time, and then it sticks to that axis even after I return all of the rudders to neutral.

Mad_Fred

• Administrator
  • ✝ In Memoriam
« Reply #23916 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:16 »

Also, gotta love how the biggest argument against adding Titanic is that it would be better for VSTEP to improve the game than to add a new ship

says who?  that's just something you made up, and not factual. There already was a Titanic at one point, remember?

And the fact that Titanic wasn't around anymore in real life was never a reason either for exclusion.. it's merely a matter of feasibility... just cause someone made a pretty model, doesn't make that model the ideal game content.

I guess Jason just made her too heavy. Turned out it didnt work out.

And if Vstep would have tuned it all the way down, you would spend all your free time here, posting on how Vstep got it all wrong everywhere...

So you now have so much more free time on your hands to do really important things.. and we, as a bonus, don't have to be annoyed by it.  :P

That's a win-win situation to me, to be honest. Way to go Jason!  :2thumbs:

;)

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #23917 on: November 21, 2012, 03:33:38 »

Not to spoil the Titanic debate, but
Isn't Time Warner Cable supposed to be FAST?
My PC specs:
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM

Rbsanford

• Forum member
« Reply #23918 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:51 »

Don't you hate it when you're walking on a deserted road through a forest on a cold foggy night and all you can think about is Slenderman? :doh:
Today's weather:

http://www.lsmma.com/webcam/webcam_st.html

Not to sound cliched, but what a long, strange, trip it's been.

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #23919 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:25 »

I played it once and pledged to never play it again, I... umm.. did. I thought the steam name would be funny.
My PC specs:
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #23920 on: November 21, 2012, 15:01:55 »

10 days and we're still on page 957..  :'(

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
« Reply #23921 on: November 21, 2012, 18:10:23 »

Alright, I would like to direct the attention of all of you to a game that will alleviate some of VSTEP's requests to add working battleships and aircraft carriers to Ship Sim, or ships breaking apart as they sink, etc.: http://worldofwarships.com/

World of Warships is a game being developed by the same company that made World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, but by a different group of people, who are more knowledgeable of naval physics and warfare. World of Warships will focus on destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers, and battleships from 1906 to approximately 1950 or so when we saw the final battleships being launched. Basically, if the weaponry is guided, it's not going to be included in the game.

The principle idea is that the controls are as easy as WASD to move the ship (QERF to hold the ship's rudder or engines at a particular setting; either hard/full, half, or neutral each way), while the mouse points your weaponry and turrets. However, even though the controls are simple, the hallmark for this publisher is that the behind-the-scenes calculations are incredibly complex, and almost everything for the game is calculated on their servers, which makes cheating a virtual impossibility!

The way that ships sink is one example of how complex the game will be behind the scenes in its calculations: the game will use extensive research to ensure that watertight compartments are placed historically accurately, and ships will sink if they pass a certain threshold, and do so accurately based on where they have been hit through their armor. (Shots will not always penetrate armor, because angle of impact, speed, etc. of salvos, torpedoes, and bombs are all calculated compared to the thickness of enemy armor. They can also penetrate one layer of armor and explode before penetrating the next, etc.) In fact, if you critically damage the hull of the ship or drain a ship's HP to 0, the 3D modelers have designed it where ships can split into as many as 4 parts!(That is, they modeled the ships so each one can break along its halfway point, or the halfway point of those halves). Ships will still have hit points that do NOT regenerate (and players will NOT respawn over the course of a match, so you will need better strategy here than in most games), though ships might sink before they run out of hit points. Because of these, beaching WILL be a viable tactic, though you won't have too many hit points left afterwards if you do, so a few more armor-penetrating rounds will probably finish you off.

I am posting this here because the developers host daily Q&As, so if you want to see how accurate they are to ship dynamics (which they most likely will be to a surprising degree; one of its sister projects, World of Warplanes, takes into account the drag on each bomb a plane has in determining how the plane handles), I can either answer based on previous Q&A responses, or ask ;D Just keep in mind that certain things won't be in the game, such as anchors or large waves (though they might reevaluate the latter after the game launches), because they are trying to remain accurate to historical tactics.

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #23922 on: November 21, 2012, 18:37:25 »

Ill love a Friget to be honest
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

danny

• Forum member
Re: The Cookie Box MkII - The chat-come-Vstep bashing thread
« Reply #23923 on: November 21, 2012, 18:38:40 »

A - We've finally moved on to page 958 :D
B - I've fixed the cookiebox title  :doh:

RMS Gigantic

• Forum member
Re: The Cookie Box MkII - The chat-come-Vstep bashing thread
« Reply #23924 on: November 21, 2012, 20:03:20 »

says who?  that's just something you made up, and not factual.
Actually, this is my source.
There already was a Titanic at one point, remember?
There was also already a Ship Simulator, so why should VSTEP make Extremes if 2008 exists? ::)
And the fact that Titanic wasn't around anymore in real life was never a reason either for exclusion.. it's merely a matter of feasibility... just cause someone made a pretty model, doesn't make that model the ideal game content.

I guess Jason just made her too heavy. Turned out it didnt work out.
You're right: polygon complexity is the big issue, I recall, though there are more than a few possible ways to deal with that, such as releasing the ship as paid DLC with a warning for hiked up requirements (or just leave that warning off like you did with the also incredibly poly-heavy MS Oceana).

And if Vstep would have tuned it all the way down, you would spend all your free time here, posting on how Vstep got it all wrong everywhere...
How many more times do I have to say this? I am not proud of that thread, which is why I locked (and I think also deleted) it. I have no reason to doubt or question the thoroughness of Jason's research consultancy source nor the impressiveness of his modelling skills. Any error on the ship will be fixed with time. Or at least, it would be if it was permitted to update.

So, danny, how am I doing? ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 20:05:33 by RMS Gigantic »
Pages: 1 ... 955 956 [957] 958 959 ... 1027   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines