Hello Guest May 06, 2024, 23:23:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legendary GTS Finnjet sold for scrapping  (Read 2281 times)

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Legendary GTS Finnjet sold for scrapping
« on: May 08, 2008, 13:12:46 »

It's a shame, but the legendary GTS FINNJET seems to be sold for scrapping! The plans to re-build her into a cruise liner are withdrawn since the Dutch owner has severe financial problems. Now she's gonna move to the Red Sea for grounding and scrapping.
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

Lanedre

• Forum member
Re: Legendary GTS Finnjet sold for scrapping
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 13:50:28 »

Why would they scrap this ship it looks like its almost new...I would have thought there was many companies who want to buy it ???

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 14:49:42 »

Well, that picture isn't new. It was taken in her last season for Silja, berthed in Rostock prior to her voyage accross the Atlantic after the tornado desaster at the Gulf of Mexico. She was used as floating home and collage there for almost two years or so. For a new carreer she used to have new engines, new cabins... - very expensive for such an old vessel.  :-\
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 16:13:59 »

Shame, hate the idea of nice vessels being scrapped.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 22:51:21 »

Still LOOKS in good nick

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/da_vinci_1977_b_2.htm

This is really quite surprising as up until last year there was a desperate shortage of RO ROs and back then if it were available, I think (unless the refurb costs were massive) that a buyer would be found.

There seems to be quite a few RO ROs now becoming surplus... Anyone for a worldwide economic crisis? Oh sorry. There already is one
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:07:17 »

It's so sad, she was the "Concorde" of the ships
"She is still the fastest conventional ferry as of 2008, with a recorded top speed of 33,5 knots"

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 12:23:16 »

Everything has its time...

A Wartsila built ship if I recall correctly.

They did have a habbit of making really rather brilliant ships. And diesel engines too, of course.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:04:32 »

Possibly the responsible ship broker found a solution to sell GTS "Finnjet" to another shipping company instead of a scrapping yard. There are some rumors, that the vessel may have a future in Middle-East.. :o
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 14:41:22 »

That doesn't surprise me at all. As said above, there has historically been a shortage of roros available and compared to many ships, still quite young for breaking.

Tell you what though, Bottman- I'm REALLY surprised no one has started a 'should this be in ss2009' poll.  :o

Bottman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 16:06:06 »

Well you are right, but the good old "Finnjet" has very little freight capacity compared to her length and her turbines are real fuel intensiv, whereas with her diesel engines she is not fast enough for most of the services. Guess she would be okay for islamic pilgrims at the Red Sea or so. The fuel must be less expensive in Saudi Arabia  ;D

Regards
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 18:22:47 »

Hi Bottman,

Whilst I must acknowledge that I do not have the maritime qualifications of your good self or many others, I have worked in passenger transport (air, road freight, rail, but never shipping) and I find the arguement of fuel costs a bit over rated.

Sure, I myself am downgrading my Aston Martin expectations due to fuel prices, but I've found in most areas of transportation that fuel is a much smaller percentage of costs than companies generally say.

I appreciate that ships use a hell of a lot of the stuff, but I would have thought that if a vessel could do X more journeys per day/week etc then it would offset the cost quite nicely.

Hostorically wages are rising at a faster rate than fuel, remember. Personally I'd say that a ship/train/bus/truck that can do more journeys per day would help reduce wages bill...

Pinkkari

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 16:15:35 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines