Hello Guest May 11, 2024, 06:31:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about RC boat construction  (Read 1724 times)

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
Question about RC boat construction
« on: March 08, 2011, 20:40:16 »

Hi all,

Well, as the title of the topic says, I have a question which I shall explain.

When you add the propeller shaft you have to make a hole under the waterline. When you put the shaft through that hole than the hole is still there, allowing water to come in through the narrow ringhole between the shaft and the edge of the hole causing the boat to sink.

So my question is, how do you keep a boat of making water?

Thanks,
VirtualSkipper.
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

vin_sun

• Global Moderator
Re: Question about RC boat construction
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 21:11:01 »

Hi VS,

Hope this gives you some answers. ;)

http://www.ehow.com/how_7953164_seal-rc-boat-drive-shaft.html

Regards
vin_sun
Land was created to provide a place for boats to visit.

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 21:23:56 »

Ahh, thanks Vin_Sun.  :thumbs:
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 21:24:52 »

I use Stabilit Express for that. You can also use other glue, but you'll have to be sure that it doesn't react with the ABS.

It's the crew that makes the difference

Agent|Austin

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 23:24:18 »

Would you need to reapply these glues regularly? It would seem like a better idea to use some type of carrier bearing that is sealed.

Atlantis05

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:50:33 »

No, you just seal it once with Stabilit Express (I used it for quite a lot of models) and then the hole will stay watertight. On some models the Stabilit was more stable than the ABS of the hull  :doh:

And by the way,... do NOT clear the shaft itself with steel wool ! It will scratch the shaft and it won´t turn easily any more and you´ll need more lubricate fluid. The shaft housing (wich will be fixed and sealed with Stabilit) must be roughened (with light abrasive paper) where it will be glued...

Greetings
Holger

R/C Models on a selfmade Clip at youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrBPrppwWSU

sid8

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 07:48:52 »

Hi friends

RC, or remote control boats, run in the water just like their larger counterparts. Only they have electrically operated servos, controlled by electrical inputs, that allow them to maneuver, pick up speed and stop. Contrary to their miniature size, remote control boats take on water just like full-sized boats, and one of those areas involves the boat drive shaft. The typical RC drive shaft uses a universal joint driven off the engine to propel a shaft through a stuffing box. The shaft exits the hull and connects to a propeller. Sealing the drive shaft against leaks requires a few steps, tools and products to perform the procedure correctly.

Regards
Sid
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:47:44 by sadsid »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines