Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 21:06:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.  (Read 80169 times)

Alexisth1

• Forum member
Re: Costa Concordia Grounded, taking on water.
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2012, 07:36:20 »

this was incidental, i was doing the mission on ss08 and anchored the ship and have gone this way

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:00 »

Thank you Danny, couldn't have put it better myself.

A thread about the loss of a ship with at least 12 lives is not the place for flippant screenshots.

Kevinmcg_ships

• Forum member
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2012, 10:18:47 »

Capt. corageous has stated that he couldn't bear to be a Captain again. News for you, sunshine, you don't have a choice.

What a silly thing for him to say - no shipping company would touch him with a barge pole.
OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit  |  CPU: Intel i7-4770k @ 3.5 GHz  |  RAM: 16Gb DDR3  |  Graphic Card: Asus GTX 660 DirectCU II OC

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2012, 15:18:04 »

also someone lost a loveone's ashes
guys. their is nowhere in any of the ss series you can do is so why bother anyway?  :thumbdown:
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

VirtualSkipper

• Forum member
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2012, 16:44:32 »

also someone lost a loveone's ashes
guys. their is nowhere in any of the ss series you can do is so why bother anyway?  :thumbdown:

What do the SS series have to do with this??
"There is a plaque laid next to the remnants of the Titanic which reads, "Only Chuck Norris is unsinkable"

Finn700

• Forum member
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2012, 19:40:41 »

This captain didn't act like Concoridia's one : Youtube video.

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2012, 20:38:08 »

13th death person has found in the ship
19 people still missing

Captain Cadet

• Forum member
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2012, 20:53:32 »

i hate to say this but as humans need to have fresh water in there systems or they'll die and that the air bubbles there may be in are high in CO2 and being starved for a week and 2 days i think ether there on land but not found or gone home without the rescue operation going or if they in the ship there sadly probity dead :(
but to be honnest there could have been a lot more deaths if maybe she sank in the middle of the sea or about 25 meters from where she sunk as the sea would have been deeper
Captain Cadet
Please don't message me for technical support!

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2012, 22:18:23 »

A body has been found aboard of a woman, bringing the death toll upto 13.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16672216
STCW II/1 Unlimited Officer Of the Watch.
Big or small, I'll sail 'em all!

assassinator2.0

• Forum member
"He that boasts of his own knowledge proclaims his ignorance" -Author Unknown

"If a tidal wave hits LA just grab a fake boob for safety" -Sarah Michelle Gellar

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2012, 16:40:29 »

15 people have now been confirmed dead as a result of the costa concordia disaster. Efforts are underway to remove the fuel, they are also using HE to blast there way into the ship to help search for casulties.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-16687012

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2012, 20:23:00 »

whats happening in the maritime world

23-1-2012 at the philippines are 2 cargo ships sunk and 1 damaged (the sun spirit,Panama and the Seaford 11,philippines) no one died

22-1-2012 17 death 5 saved, because capsizing ship in the street of Hormuz

20-1-2012 a big ship (Aztec maiden)beached at Wijk aan zee (Holland near Amsterdam) no injured (she is floating again)

20-1-2012 Istanbul a cargo ship (kayan-1) hits 2 other cargo vessels (slocherdiep and the Adria blu) no one injured but the Kayan-1 is beached.

18-1-2012 a tanker (athiri) of the coast from Hook of Holland hits an another tanker (Sloman themis) no one injured but both ships have damage above the waterline (the captain from the Athiri has a fee for dangerous manouvres and he have to pay 10.000 euro )

18-1-2012 a small trawler (Tit bonhomme) sank at the coast of Ireland 5 are still missing (3 Egyptian and 2 Irish)

16-1-2012 a fishingboat capsized at the coast from Zeebrugge (Belgium) 1 Death 1 still missing

15-1-2012 a tanker exploses at the coast from South-korea 5 death 6 still missing (normally she transports Diesel but this time she had benzin loaded maybe the gas caused a explosion)

11-1-2012 a korean fishing vessel sinks at Antarctica 37 saved 3 death

14-1-2012 gibraltar a ferry and a cargo ship collided 2 slightly injured

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 20:26:20 by michael_taal »

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2012, 20:24:56 »

salvage company Smit has green light to pump the oil out of the Costa concordia

(sorry for the double post)

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2012, 23:10:21 »

Talking about an epic failure... Advertisement to join the Costa Concordia valid from january 16th till january 21st.. :doh:

It's the crew that makes the difference

Cat320DL

• Forum member
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2012, 04:06:50 »

Reconstruction of the Costa Concordia Tragedy, Narration by John Konrad

http://vimeo.com/35351659

Kyle
Thanks Stormforce for the awesome banner :) MV Princess Acadia in sig.

danny

• Forum member
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2012, 17:12:42 »

Michael, that post was a bit off topic...

@ballast  :doh:

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2012, 18:56:44 »

he just cant make up his story. http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/22/10210202-cruise-ship-captain-says-he-was-told-to-perform-fatal-maneuver

Hopefully the investigation will start asking the SALIENT questions soon.

Remember that it suits the management of costa to keep talking about the captain as it saves talking about their APPARENT total disregard for ship management. Two scenarios:

1. costa well aware of his lunatic antics (likely)- in which case if they knew he was reckless and did nothing then the ceo could also face corporate manslaughter type charges.
2. costa not aware of his lunatic antics and basic ship keeping requirements (psgr manifests, lifeboat training etc). then the ceo could also face corporate manslaughter type charges.

The captain won't be the only person to go down with this ship I think.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2012, 13:11:58 »

Michael, that post was a bit off topic...

I think the point is that while there is a media frenzy over the Costa Concordia, no-one is interested in the myriad of other incidents at sea where the vistims are "only seafarers".

@Stuart, exactly this.

There is also another issue, there is a law which strictly limits the companies liabilty in case of shipwreck.  By purchasing a ticket to travel on a ship you enter into a contract with the shipowner, as part of that contract the ship owners liability is limited in the event of shipwreck unless the owner is proven to have acted willfully or wrecklessly with the knowledge that a shipwreck was likely to occur.  (I can't remember the exact wording, it has been a while since I studied maritime law and that particular bit thankfully doesn't crop up in my day to day correspondence!, but it is certainly words to that effect.)

The law is basically designed to stop a ship owner deliberately sinking a ship with passengers onboard in order to claim the insurance money safe in the knowledge that his liability to those passenmgers is limited.

I think part of this whole media campaign against the captain, while it is undoubtedly in part to limit their blame in any enquiry and deflect media attention from their failings for PR reasons, may also be directly aimed at pre-empting any idea that the above law could be interpreted in any way as to remove their limitation of liability because they acted wrecklessly with the knowledge that a shipwreck may result by allowing the Concordia to pass so close to Giglio Island.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #218 on: January 25, 2012, 14:10:25 »

Clanky,

The land based laws aren't all that dis-similar though. If (as a bus/coach manager) I employ a competent professional who screws up one time without my prior knowledge, I can said to be 'safe' from come back. But if I knowingly allow an idiot to drive the bus- OR SHOULD have known he was an idiot and allowed him nonetheless then I am just as guilty as him.

Surely if a situation arises where costa SHOULD have known that he was acting reckless (even if it can't be proven that they actually DID) then the same rules apply as those you outlined. It wouldn't be difficult would it to prove they SHOULD have known. I recall being told on my first bridge visit (of a 'modern' ship) where the 1st Officer explained the equipment- lamenting the days when they could sail off course without getting an email straight away from head office demanding to know why.
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #219 on: January 25, 2012, 17:48:32 »

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out when it finally comes to court.  In terms of any criminal liability Costa are IMHO, screwed.

In terms of their civil liability they are covered by the limitation of liability in the contract which the passengers will have agreed to in the terms and condition opf booking other than in what are meant to be very clearly defined circumstances, i.e. if they deliberately wreck a vessel for the insurance money,

it is the interpretation of the wording of that law which will be interesting, especially if it copmes to light in court that they were either aware of the captain's actions in this instance or aware that he acted in this manner previously and done nothing to prevent a re-occurance.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #220 on: January 25, 2012, 21:40:57 »

Given the worldwide attention on this specific case it could end up setting precedents for the future. One wonders (and this is speculation on my part) whether other incidents with costa are through similar activities.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: January 25, 2012, 21:51:58 »

I wonder what the IMO will do after these 'lessons learned'. Surely they will come up with new procedures and such after this disaster.

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:59 »

Given the worldwide attention on this specific case it could end up setting precedents for the future. One wonders (and this is speculation on my part) whether other incidents with costa are through similar activities.

Certainly not related to sail pasts, I know Costa Europa at Sharm was due to strong winds gusting as the ship berthed, although Costa do seem to have a lot of incidents under their belt, they do have a lot of ships.

I wonder what the IMO will do after these 'lessons learned'. Surely they will come up with new procedures and such after this disaster.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that IMO will issue very strict new guidelines on how many copies of checklists will have to be filed in which filing cabinet.

Ballast

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2012, 10:10:01 »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that IMO will issue very strict new guidelines on how many copies of checklists will have to be filed in which filing cabinet.

We are already buried with checklist so one or two extra to prevent 'cellphone courses' won't be much difference!

michael_taal

• Forum member
« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2012, 20:45:37 »

the rescuers had said that the missing persons are dead, if there will somebody found alive it must be a miracle.

this disaster will now have 32 dead people  :'(

my heart goes to the family's from the dead people
will they rest in peace
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines