Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 18:48:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Video: Hovercraft Emergency Brake  (Read 9966 times)

seegurke

• Forum member
Video: Hovercraft Emergency Brake
« on: September 13, 2007, 09:38:07 »

I made a small video of how to emergency brake the hovercraft. Have fun ;)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XQEpU4T-X6A

Bottman

• Global Moderator
Re: Video: Hovercraft Emergency Brake
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:28:54 »

Hey, looks great!!! Inspired by the Blues Brothers way of parking a car  ;D
Seams to be a useful manoeuvre without passengers aboard, guess?

Cheers
Bottman

Navigare necesse est!
Look at www.elbdampfer-hamburg.de

seegurke

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:45:51 »

Of course this is useful... but why only without passengers? ;D

Just thought that it might be even better or faster with use of the rotatable exhaust-pipes. Because as you can see in the video it takes some time until the hovercraft really begins to turn quickly. But nevertheless I don't know a faster way to stop this vehicle on water.

Next challenge is to drive backwards and than turn quickly 180° to drive forwards in same direction. Have to test if that may work.

EDIT: No, that doesn't work. The Hovercraft is too slow when travelling backwards. Only 8,5kn...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 10:53:00 by seegurke »

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:08:16 »

Nice video, and nice hovercraft handling too! :D

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 13:14:17 »

There was an emergency with an old Dover-Calais hovercraft and they deflated the skirt- that brought its speed down quickly. I imagine that did a fair bit of damage to both the hull and the passengers though!

Anyone know if thats a normal emergency procedure or whether that was a result of some other problem?

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 13:30:25 »

There was an emergency with an old Dover-Calais hovercraft and they deflated the skirt- that brought its speed down quickly. I imagine that did a fair bit of damage to both the hull and the passengers though!

Anyone know if thats a normal emergency procedure or whether that was a result of some other problem?

Stu

I wouldn't have thought that it would have done too much damage to the hull as it's simply just water.
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 13:33:53 »

If you were to jump out of a fast moving boat and hit the water... ouch!

Water can still do a lot of damage if you hit it fast enough... Remember that the English Channel isn't always that smooth.

Stu
Join the campaign for 'Pride of Bilbao' and SSE (on one disc).... Model by TFM ship builders.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 13:39:35 »

If you were to jump out of a fast moving boat and hit the water... ouch!

Water can still do a lot of damage if you hit it fast enough... Remember that the English Channel isn't always that smooth.

Stu

True but I think that the way hovercrafts are designed means that it floats like a boat and also generally hovercrafts tend to tilt at the back which means when they slow down when the rear of the craft hits the water first meaning it slows down before the front end hits the water.

I have no idea how hovercrafts are built so please don't think I know what I'm going on about. I'm simply expressing my thoughts  ;)
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 13:43:20 »

Neither do I... but if any two objects impact at too high a speed, there is bound to be some effect... Maybe if this is a recognised emergency procedure, they are designed for it?

If it is floating, then suddenly NOT floating... Again, I don't really know either. I wonder how quickly the reverse thust takes effect anyway...

Simple plan. I'm going to pompey next month... will just have to take a trip on the hovercraft first and see for myself :D

Stu

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 13:57:04 »

Good idea. I think the the way most hover craft slow down is that they turn the thrusters or propellers in the opposite direct to create a reverse thrust effect. The propellers do not actually stop and turn the other way. Most of the time the propellers on larger craft take about 2 minutes to get to full speed so you have roughly a total time of about 5 mins for the propellers to stop, then turn the other way which is not good in emergencies.

seegurke

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 13:58:40 »

I don't know how they do an emergency stop in real, in the video it was just an idea. But I'm quite sure, that a hovercraft don't take any damage when the skirt deflates.

Is it right, that the hovercraft modelled in Shipsim hasn't got a reverse thrust in real? As I get the feeling in the game, you can only travel backwards with these rotatable exhaust-pipes and not with the main engines...
With special propellers it's possible to generate reverse thrust while changing the pitch. But then the hovercraft in game would go faster than 8kn backwards.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 14:00:18 by seegurke »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 14:01:17 »

I don't know how they do an emergency stop in real, in the video it was just an idea. But I'm quite sure, that a hovercraft don't take any damage when the skirt deflates.

Is it right, that the hovercraft modelled in Shipsim hasn't got a reverse thrust in real? As I get the feeling in the game, you can only travel backwards with these rotatable exhaust-pipes and not with the main engines...
With special propellers it's possible to generate reverse thrust while changing the pitch. But then the hovercraft in game would go faster than 8kn backwards.

No there is no reverse thrust option on the Hover craft in ship sim. In order to create the effect you must rotate the exhuast pipes in the opposite direct to stop this.

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 15:38:51 »

changing the pitch of the blade (feathering) can allow the pitch to change enough to give reverse thrust- just look at CPP units on ships- same principle.

The photos of the real hover travel craft DO show the reverse thrust pipes... I doub't their output is anything fantastic though and is really used only for manouvering.

IIRC on the large Dover-Calais they had reversible propellor pitch, but you are right that the drive shaft will always keep going one way only... Therefore it won't take 5 mins to reverse the propellor pitch- so in the case of these propellors it would take seconds.

I wouldn't want to argue about engine acceleration. It may take 2 mins for the craft to accelerate, but I suspect you are talking in the order of 5-6 seconds for the engines to reach RPM.

Normal deflation of the skirt won't cause damage- of course not- but at 50kts???

Stu

clanky

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 22:01:45 »

Stu

Have asked a friend who was co-pilot on the dover hovercraft and here is his reply.

Yes, it is a standard emergency procedure, it does not damage the hull, but usually ruins the skirt and scares the bejaisus out of the passengers.

seegurke

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 22:14:41 »

That's interesting. Has anyone tested this procedure in ShipSim?

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 22:17:51 »

That's interesting. Has anyone tested this procedure in ShipSim?

Yes. The craft slows down very quickly indeed. Takes about 5-7 seconds to stop from full power.

I can't seem to sink the Hovercraft either  :-\

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 23:34:07 »

Thanks clanky. That's what I thought... Not a routine method but a genuine emergency last resort

Capt S: A sure fire way of sinking the hovercraft... Spend hours completing a mission (DO NOT use save feature and right at the end, make a silly mistake... guaranteed to make it sink ;)

Stu

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 00:11:06 »

Thanks clanky. That's what I thought... Not a routine method but a genuine emergency last resort

Capt S: A sure fire way of sinking the hovercraft... Spend hours completing a mission (DO NOT use save feature and right at the end, make a silly mistake... guaranteed to make it sink ;)

Stu

lol ohh dear. Mind you, I was speaking for when I had the BETA patch installed so maybe VSTEP has updated it now  ;)

seegurke

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 09:04:42 »

Yes. The craft slows down very quickly indeed. Takes about 5-7 seconds to stop from full power.

But I will still brake with my technique, that's definitly more fun ;D :P

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2007, 23:04:38 »

It handles just like driving a truck on ice!

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2007, 23:09:46 »

I've not been around for a while on this forum, at least not very much, can someone fill me in on the deal with this hovercraft?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2007, 23:23:15 »

We're discussing the video made by the topic starter (which is fun, i've tried it) and the conversation has moved on to real emergency stop procedures by hovercrafts.

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 13:36:49 »

Yes thank you Stu I gathered that much.   ;) :D  What I mean is how did the user get the hovercraft, has it been released or is this a beta or something?

Stuart2007

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 14:27:00 »

Ah... right... You REALY haven't been around much.

There's a patch now (1.1) that fixes the bugs and gives quite a few new features (example: the much requested on/off switch for engines- so you can have hours of fun switching them on and off).

The patch also includes a jetski and hovercraft. Can't tell you about the jetski but the hovercraft is really quite good fun.

The download link is in tech support. Have fun

Stu

Captain Davies

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 14:40:38 »

Thank you!  That's brilliant news. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines