Hello Guest May 13, 2024, 07:03:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ship Simulator Vault  (Read 4983 times)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
Ship Simulator Vault
« on: March 19, 2010, 19:50:27 »

Hi guys,

By now most of you will already know about this idea, as Mike kindly agreed to add a page in the Ship Simulator Magazine.

However, this thread will list the details of this project, and also allow you as the community to give you thoughts and opinions on this idea.

Can I also ask that we keep this thread calm, it is just to express your opinion in a polite and happy manner. Any posts that may cause an arguement will be deleted. Thanks for co-operating :)

The details of the project are as follow:

What is SSV?
The Ship Simulator Vault (SSV will be a website which allows users to upload, comment, rate, view, watch & download various forms of material ranging from videos & missions to screenshots & other user created content.
Think of it as a youtube, imageshack and filefront specially created for Ship Simulator users!
BUT, don’t worry it won’t be a shabby user created website/forum. It will be properly built by a website designer/developer among the SS Community, and so the website will uphold a certain amount of quality and security.

Who will run SSV?
EVERYONE!! Well put it this way, if no one contributes to the website it won’t exist! However, the website will be initially built by a buzzing user from the SS Community. Once the website is built and online, it will be there for all SS users from old timers to newcomers.

Will the website be free?
Of course!! Registration is free and there are no hidden costs! The website will be available for everyone. However, if you like the service we do like to know our hard work is appreciated so of course any donations will be greatly appreciated.

What can I do now?
Well, for now you can give us your opinion on the idea. At the moment it is just that, an idea. This topic will hopefully collect everyone’s thoughts and opinions, so please feel free to post your thoughts on this idea, and we’re open to suggestions!

Many thanks for reading, and if you have ANY questions please do ask!

Adam :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 21:46:39 by CaptainSpencer »
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

Wave Music

• Forum member
Re: Ship Simulator Vault
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 20:07:57 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Creator's Forum has some of those features when it comes to missions & add-ons.  ???
keep it gnarly

mvsmith

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 20:25:23 »

For uploading and sharing documents and files of other types there is the free Google docs.
It is being adopted by VSTEP as a communication method with Beta testers, etc.

However, I do think the Vault is a good idea. It may serve the user community better than the current alternatives.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 20:29:02 by mvsmith »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 20:59:58 »

Hi MVSmith,

I too agree with you. I think it would be nice for the community to share various types of media, and also allow them to upload media based around ship simulator.

I believe there is a serious need for a singular place to share this information, and also bring the community together again.

Wave Music - The creators forum I find is not very user orientated. This website (SSV) will be easy to use, and also be welcoming for new and current users :)

By the way guys, the name 'Ship Simulator Vault' is not set in stone, so if anyone has a better suggestion, please do mention it here! ;D
Artificial Intelligence beats Real Stupidity.<br />If at first you don\'t succeed, call it version 1.0.

IRI5HJ4CK

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:12 »

Hi Adam,

I think the Ship Sim Vault is a great idea!! I'll do my best to help promote it at IJTS for you too,

Jack.
Kind Regards,
Jack.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:04:07 »

Hi Jack,

Thanks! There will also be spaces on the site for small banners and adverts too to help promote the ship sim clans and websites too :)

Adam

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 00:23:31 »

**bump**

C'mon guys is there only THREE people interested in this idea???

If you're not interested in something like this, do let me know why :)

Cheers,
Adam

Minime

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:03:08 »

I like this concept, sounds like a great idea. might also bring the  community closer together. I'm looking forward till the website is up an running.

thanks to Tore/TJK for this awesome sig

Kapn Jonah

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:19:22 »

I like the idea...i would like to contribute if possible...
Regards,
Jonah

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 02:23:24 »

Hi guys,

Everyone contributing will make the website what it is. You can contribute in many ways by uploading content for others to share and use.

Minime, I'm hoping it will bring the community together too :)

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 18:33:59 »

Sounds a grand idea to me, providing everybody pulls their weight! :)

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 18:51:36 »

I sure hope so Mike, but it doesn't seem like that many people are interested :/

In the nicest way I can put it, I'm not prepared to develop a site like this if no one actually uses it :)

I think I will post some more information about this project, and what people will be able to do one the site.

So, stasy tuned for some further details and in the mean time, let me know what YOU might like on a site like this :)

Adam

Aad The Pirate

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 20:47:14 »

Love the idea, looking forward to be one of the 'uploaders'  :2thumbs:
Feel free to have a look @: http://members.chello.nl/a.vermeulen14/

Tomaten

• Custom Mission Managers
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 21:00:22 »

Sounds awsome!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
We're the cool group  8)
Tuuuuuuut Tuuuuuuuuuut!
Also known as Tomaten 2006 from the old Ship Simulator 2006 forum.[/c

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 21:44:26 »

Glad to hear you like the idea guys! :)

Stay tuned for more information coming shortly ;)

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 21:55:24 »

Sounds Good, Im still a tad confused (Also excuse me for not reading all of the posts which I should have) anyways is it like a tinypic/youtube for SS?

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 22:44:28 »

Sounds Good, Im still a tad confused (Also excuse me for not reading all of the posts which I should have) anyways is it like a tinypic/youtube for SS?

In short, yes it is. The website will hopefully allow users to upload, share, comment, rate, watch and download screenshots, movies and missions.

Are there any features you would like to see on the website? Mention it here! :)

dexter7

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 02:12:35 »

i can't seem to find it... can you give me the link?
My PC specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
600W Power Supply
MSI N760 TF IV OC
8GB or RAM
Acer X213W ~ Cyberpower PC Gamer Ultra 2097 Desktop PC
Favorite games: Ship Simulators, MS Flight Sims, Railworks 3,

Capt. Matt

• Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:45:45 »

Maybe because its not made yet :doh:

Thanks TJK!
Intel Core i7 930@ 2.8GHz, 12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, Asus P6X58D-E, EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2 Win

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 10:56:24 »

i can't seem to find it... can you give me the link?

Hi Dexter,

Are you looking for the website or something else?

If you are looking for the website then you won't find it as Matt said. It doesn't exist yet and this topic is to find out if this idea would be used amongst the HUGE community here on Ship Simulator.

Would anyone like to see anything on the website?? Any features or such?

TNeves

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 19:09:47 »

Many questions I might raise! ;D First will this compete with the creators forum? Could be a joint venture? !:)

About storage of the files/website, a good quality with good bandwidth/space storage service is very expensive. We can solve it in many ways, using Google Docs from for example 5 members to create a large storage space, because we only need the external link to download the file.

The website can be created using Worpdress, is open source and very simple to use/set-up.

This is just my brain-storming guys ;D :2thumbs:

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 19:21:59 »

Hi TNeves,

No the website will not compete with the Creators Forum simply because they will NOT be the same only in that they may share the ability to download missions :)

The bandwidth consumption is something which is not an issue at this stage and has already been taken care of.

I think the method you suggest by using other 3rd party services will start to get sloppy. We'd just be doing what we do now, and have links to loads of other websites, which not only does it get confusing, but you can never guarentee the status and reliablility of these services.

The website will be a central place to share information, which is one of the major features the website will bring. Members will be able to post links to this website, to showcase their new screenshots, movies, missions and otherwise.

The site will also incorporate a login system, with free registration which will ensure that not only will content remain secure, but also to give members a chance to shine and become part of the community with their own 'space'.

Any more questions??? ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 19:23:50 by CaptainSpencer »

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 19:28:29 »

I also forgot to mention that the website will have strict guidelines how what can be uploaded and how big.

Don't worry though, those of you who may not know much about exporting movies ect, this will all documented in the help sections :)

Adam

McGherkin

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 19:38:23 »

I take it that HD film won't be supported then?
Almost never here, try here.

Captain Spencer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 19:39:37 »

I take it that HD film won't be supported then?

Not sure as of yet, but I'm not ruling it out completely :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines