Hello Guest May 12, 2024, 15:56:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Almost an upgrade from 2006  (Read 8707 times)

pedwards

• Forum member
Almost an upgrade from 2006
« on: July 10, 2007, 21:38:47 »

Ok so there are new ships, albeit some like the Red Funnel do not function as it should. Does this, that I have download and paid £30 for class as a new version? I'm sure some will say yes 'Just look at the waves', and yes they are good. But I have yet to see anything apart from the weather that would suggest a name such as 2008. On the 'Titanic leaving the Solent' it crashes ever time. I cannot sail from one area to another, and even the best submariner could not sink my ship. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have mine. And I am disappointed with what I have paid for. My sim has just sunk and I shall not be re-floating it. Shame really, as I was really looking forward to this version. 

Regards

Paul

adamano

• Forum member
Re: Almost an upgrade from 2006
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 21:43:13 »

Well shame you didnt like it, i dont have the problems you have really, but if you look at Flightsim 2002 and then 2004, you wont see much improvement apart from the new planes, better interface and graphics

Orinoco

• Forum member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 21:50:45 »

Ok so there are new ships, albeit some like the Red Funnel do not function as it should. Does this, that I have download and paid £30 for class as a new version? I'm sure some will say yes 'Just look at the waves', and yes they are good. But I have yet to see anything apart from the weather that would suggest a name such as 2008. On the 'Titanic leaving the Solent' it crashes ever time. I cannot sail from one area to another, and even the best submariner could not sink my ship. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I have mine. And I am disappointed with what I have paid for. My sim has just sunk and I shall not be re-floating it. Shame really, as I was really looking forward to this version. 

Regards

Paul

Tend to agree. I'm over the moon at SS2008 (mostly because it's still the best sim for ships on the market) but I can only hope that it improves massively with patches.

In my opinion, there's no excuse for releasing a game with incomplete features/ships, saying that they're 'coming in a patch'. They should be there from the beginning - if this means waiting longer, then so be it.

pedwards

• Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 21:53:14 »

Agreed. I am honestly not a winger! But I am disappointed. I hope that the opinions of those that have purchased can improve the game/sim. Sure, I have enjoyed taking the Pride of Rotterdam out of the Harbour, but I was also looking forward to sailing her across the channel and into her berth. I suppose it comes down to expectations from what we read. I do wish SS the best, but I feel it does need to improve a lot more from version to version.

Regards

Paul

adamano

• Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 21:55:58 »

I Spose they could do something like Microsoft do with there Flight Sims, is spent 2 years building and realease a version every 2 years like 98 2000 2002 2004 and FSX wich was 2006,  plus then if u finish early they could work on improvements and extra things :P but i think they did pretty good in the space of 10 months

pedwards

• Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 22:02:12 »

I Spose they could do something like Microsoft do with there Flight Sims, is spent 2 years building and realease a version every 2 years like 98 2000 2002 2004 and FSX wich was 2006,  plus then if u finish early they could work on improvements and extra things :P but i think they did pretty good in the space of 10 months

Firstly, I was hoping for more than a MS product. MS aircraft lack almost every quality that the real aircraft has. It's only due to the addons that makes MSFS what it is. Secondly MSFS was not every 2 years. Although the product names may suggest that. When I purchased Ship Simulator, that is what I really wanted, a true ship sim.
Regards

Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 22:18:23 by pedwards »

OptimusX15

• Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 22:22:04 »

The fact that there is no other competitor close to this game means that the devs are setting the benchmark each time. This is both good and bad. More over, it's bad for the consumer as the devs don't have to push themselves to beat somebody else.

You say you can't sail from one place to another, are you sure of this?

I was convinced that was what free roam was all about...
I saw in the youtube videos a boat heading out of the portsmouth harbour, into the channel. The hoverport is out there, for the hovercraft coming in the patch.

You can sail in the channel right? All the way to the Isle of Wight?

pedwards

• Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 22:39:08 »

Yes from Southampton or Portsmouth you can sail direct to the Isle of Wight (as it's on the same chart), what I cannot do is sail from Southampton to New York via the North atlantic or from Rotterdam harbour to Southampton/the Solent.

Regards

Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 22:41:07 by pedwards »

OptimusX15

• Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 22:49:03 »

Ah right, thanks for answering. I would never expect SS08 to be a MSFS - global scenery engine type game. But I'm so glad to hear the solent area is as big as it is. Maybe the two or more scenery areas could be linked together some how. (Like seemless loading with the "open ocean" map) Then again, I don't know how the game is built.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 22:51:53 by OptimusX15 »

Fireburn

• Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 23:44:24 »

I guess it will be possible to travel from one area to another. There is a mission, where you gotta bring a pilot to a container ship, in that mission you are first @ the solent stuff, then you go to another area, the sea.

Captain Kool

• Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 02:39:21 »

I agree they should have waited until everything was ready. I suppose they just wanted to surprise us. Which is a great marketing strategy, everyone buys it at the sudden release.

JHB

• Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 07:42:17 »

I’m happy with the release of the new version, and I’m not a great judger. I cannot even say myself if the new version was completed or not before release. VSTEP released it and that’s fine enough for me.
Comparing Ship Simulator with Flight Simulator is just a bad way to compare. Look at the history of Flight Simulator and it will make sense.
If you feel yourself as a bad customer for this game, well then you have at least paid for it (unlike those who pirate such games by not paying for them) and contributed a resource that this game will need if it is going to become a better computer game into the future. Development has a price, so does this game. :)

RockingMadDog

• Forum member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2007, 08:28:36 »

im getting ss08 but because i dont actually have ss06 i wont really know how different it is from ss06 so im not bothered lol

adamano

• Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2007, 08:30:37 »

Im alittle disapointed that the whole isle of wight isnt there, i was hoping to sale around it maybe to the needles. but it goes to teh are change around the Bembridge area of the island

askemou

• Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 09:38:35 »

where is all the depht meters and all that stuff ?

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 10:29:06 »

where is all the depht meters and all that stuff ?

The depht is shown in the infobar amoung other data.

mporter

• Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 13:38:05 »

I agree they should have waited until everything was ready. I suppose they just wanted to surprise us. Which is a great marketing strategy, everyone buys it at the sudden release.

You have to be kidding. Everyone (well, almost everyone) was screaming for the new version.  And of course it took longer to make than expected (software always does), so I can just imagine the reaction if they had said "sorry, you have to wait until November"!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael Porter Marine Design
www.mp-marine.com

UUUUUHHHHHH

• Forum member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 13:39:56 »

yeah its better than not having anything until all the features are available and perfect...
Ich hasse dich.

groennegaard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2007, 13:50:32 »

You have to be kidding. Everyone (well, almost everyone) was screaming for the new version.  And of course it took longer to make than expected (software always does), so I can just imagine the reaction if they had said "sorry, you have to wait until November"!

Exactly! We can enjoy what is ready now and get the rest for free later this year. I think VSTEP made the right decision. I clearly remember all the frustraited comments after the postponement of the add-on 2006 release and I am sure that the reation would have been the same if the 2008 version had been postponed.

Regards
groennegaard

captain_paul

• Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 15:00:35 »

I agree that for value for money its not really got a lot to offer, however i am excited about the multiplayer feature in development.

OptimusX15

• Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 16:09:46 »

Hey as long as the game didn't have major bugs. I'd say it was a completed release. The mentality of some of the greedy companies out there *cough* EA *cough* tend to push games out of the door early, unfinished then abuse the patch system to continue completing the game, to a level which fools the community to think they are still being "supported". Often combined with a lousy excuse for a second update disguised as a "booster pack".

Instead here, we have a much more lovable finished release, adding more features on, free of charge!

It's like getting your moneys worth when the game is being slowly revealed to you over time. Keeps the customers excited and wanting more.

Shipaddict

• Forum member
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 16:44:55 »

And this is only the second version. Ship Simulator hasn't even been arou d for two whole years. i think they've done a lot in that time!

Shipaddict

pieterurk

• Forum member
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 18:07:20 »

hello I wonder myself to tijdje already if the ships of 2006 and, also be because to play in 2008

flyingdoc2

• Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2007, 18:12:21 »

just got it, its ok with the new graphics, was upset with the ships, why cant we use the add on pack for this version? this is more like an add on graphics pack, should have been a fix for 2006 instead of a new version!

Maik

• Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2007, 18:36:04 »

We have to be glad that they put out this game, so we have something to play, and just wait for a FREE update to get the sinking part. And later on a FREE update to get the multliplayer part. Other money hungry developers would have sold them seperalty on another disc.
So be happy with what we got and wil be getting ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines